Culling

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle

Reaction score
When do people start looking at their herds to cull cows?
Is this usally done at certin points by most people such as shots,weaning,breeding etc..?

cloud9cattle":3kek6n3h said:
Is this usally done at certin points by most people such as shots,weaning,breeding etc..?

All of the above. :p :p :p

Seriously, if you see your cows frequently you can evaluate them each time you see them. Obvious things like physical defects (eyes, feet, udder, age, overall structual soundness, etc) and mental defects :lol: (crazy cows, poor mothering ability, etc).

With proper nutrition and immunizations and in the company of a equally sound bull fertility should be no problem. Cull, cull, cull is good policy for open cows. Your goal should be continuous herd improvement.

we have 8 heifers were growing out. So when do i start culling? As of now they are all gaining weight good healthy and have good dispositions.

Disposition and what kind of calf they raise.

With heifers do they have problems delivering a calf that is not oversized.

We have got some rain and our native grass is coming back on. Was a little worried there for a couple weeks. Plus we do supplement with mineral and feed 2-3x's a week. Not because they need the feed but because its a good treat and gives us some time up close with them.

3waycross":1xyju1yn said:

3 way as long as they are growing out good and have good dispositions and staying healthy does it turn to fertility and calving from this point? I guess im looking for direction. We feel good about them thus far however they are our first group to raise.

cloud9cattle":p9tc616s said:
we have 8 heifers were growing out. So when do i start culling? As of now they are all gaining weight good healthy and have good dispositions.

It depends I usually cull some in late summer early fall due to the fact they should be in peak condition and looking at my carrying capacity thru the winter. this year with prices the way they are I am culling more aggressive and have hit it close with their replacements to start producing in the spring.

If they have good genetics for your herd, good dispostions and growth. The next thing I look at is over all build, starting at the feet/legs, then widths of rear and front, topline, then just general eye appeal. Wouldn;t hurt to have someone that doesn;t know your cows/heifers drop by and take a look and give an honest critique of them. We're fortunate that our vet is brutally honest and he sees them several times a year.

cloud9cattle":gx29b78x said:
3waycross":gx29b78x said:

3 way as long as they are growing out good and have good dispositions and staying healthy does it turn to fertility and calving from this point? I guess im looking for direction. We feel good about them thus far however they are our first group to raise.

Honestly the real line in the sand for me is do they breed back on time after that first calf. It's a real deal breaker for me. I do not fall calve so if they miss by a mile they are gone.

i make my culling choice on the age of the cows.if they dont breed back with in reason.

dun":1yz0wqcz said:
If they have good genetics for your herd, good dispostions and growth. The next thing I look at is over all build, starting at the feet/legs, then widths of rear and front, topline, then just general eye appeal. Wouldn;t hurt to have someone that doesn;t know your cows/heifers drop by and take a look and give an honest critique of them. We're fortunate that our vet is brutally honest and he sees them several times a year.

This is a good idea. We have one thats on the fence shes 3/4 brama but very good disposition and her mom is 16 still throwing calves. Shes just not very pretty to look at. haha

I'm with most people here.. I kept 4 heifers last fall, they all bred first cycle except one on the second, it happens to be the one I like the least. All 4 have good attitudes all around, and I think they'll all raise good calves... the 4th just doesn't quite fit in with what I'm looking for in my herd, she's going to be a TALL (Frame 7?) cow and has the least meat on her bones.

I'm in a position where I have a lot of feed, especially hay (40T left over from last year), but pasture is a little tight, so I'll grow them all out, at which point it'll boil down to which ones have the best and prettiest calves year after year

Our final cull decisions usually don't happen until after we have preg checked as you never know what kind of surprises might come up when you have the cow in the chute and get a good look at other factors such as her mouth or possible cancer eye but usually before then we have a good idea if we have some open cows or some poor performers that will be going to the sale barn regardless. The tricker part is when after you've made the obvious culls and you still need to cut a few more females is more practical to keep a yearling heifer or a bred cow. Basically have to make the best guess if you think your worst replacement heifer may be better than your worst bred cow or are you willing to sell some of the replacement heifers or bred females private treaty in order to get your numbers to where they need to be and make a little money doing it.

cloud9cattle":2u17b1rh said:

When I see this it inspires me to cull.

Slaughter Cattle 252 head

Slaughter Cows 228 head

Slaughter Cows Breaker 75-80% Lean
850-1200 90.00-105.00
1200-1600 95.00-108.00

Slaughter Cows Breaker High Yielding
1200-1600 109.00-127.00

Slaughter Cows Boner 80-85% Lean
800-1200 89.00-104.00
1200-2000 92.00-106.00

Slaughter Cows Boner High Yielding