Culling Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

tja477t

Reaction score
Id really like to cull a cow that has a 4 month old calf at side. right now i have her and her calf in with last years calves so she doesnt get bred. She has a limp that I cant figure out, shes old, she was 5 months late breeding back last year. what do you think i should do? id prefer #1 but im thinking i should go with my second choice
1. just haul her off and leave the calf in with last years youngstock (4 month old in with 16 month olds)
2. haul her and bring the calf back with all the other mother cows and calfs i do have a couple cows that would probably let him suck
3. although id rather not i can wait another 2 months and then seperate them.

Check the market. She will go to slaughter with age and a limp. What is the calf worth alone. Can you add value to her with some feed and let the calf gain value as you feed or will you lose money on the feed. A lot of decisions depend on your resources.

i was just taking her straight to slaughter. The local slaughter house will buy direct from me and cut out the middle man. I need to keep the calf as i have more demand than animals for private sales by the half.

120 day old calf (I'd give the calf a shot of multi-min)
easiest for you to put calf in with last years group.... but strong chance of getting stunted based on feed availability.
Sounds like you don't creep feed...
If you did, it would be a no brainer to put with cows and same age calves..... which is what I would do in this case
even if you don't creep feed.

i dont creep feed, both groups are just out on good pasture, ill probably just haul him home and turn out with this years group which are the same age ive got an idea he would do best in this scenario

I would vote on option 3 if you have enough forage. On the mother cow the calf will gain around 2 lbs a day if the cow is putting out any milk at all.
So do the math. 2 lbs x $1.50 lb x 60 days. $180

The calf may or may not get enough milk from the other cows. Probably enough to survive but not enough to thrive. They also seem to get a pot belly when forced onto grass with minimal milk.

Let her limp around for two months then sell her. Who knows, she may straighten up by then but sell her anyway. ;-)