Culling a WILD cow

Help Support CattleToday:

You have had it for 3 years. None of your neighbors claimed it. Shoot it from a distance when it is calm. Quarter it and take the quarters to the processor to get ground into burger. It's no more wrong to do that, than it was for someone to leave their problem for you to deal with.

To answer your question as to whether the craziness is genetic or not. IMO the bulk of the problem is learned. I have had some cattle with a wild attitude and I know it influenced the action of the herd. Getting rid of the unpredictable animal always calms to herd. I closed my herd a number of years ago to all but bringing in new bulls. All cattle less than docile were sold off. Since then no issues have arisen. I work my cattle by myself, no help. Calf ear tags and bands are applied in the pasture without concern of being mauled. I can walk among the herd without their being afraid of me and me of them. We have an arms length agreement however. I do not touch them and they do not touch me. Works great!

agmantoo":30ogal3d said:
To answer your question as to whether the craziness is genetic or not. IMO the bulk of the problem is learned. I have had some cattle with a wild attitude and I know it influenced the action of the herd. Getting rid of the unpredictable animal always calms to herd. I closed my herd a number of years ago to all but bringing in new bulls. All cattle less than docile were sold off. Since then no issues have arisen. I work my cattle by myself, no help. Calf ear tags and bands are applied in the pasture without concern of being mauled. I can walk among the herd without their being afraid of me and me of them. We have an arms length agreement however. I do not touch them and they do not touch me. Works great!

That is one of the most wise post I have read in a long time.
Bad dispostion is the cattleman's fault and should be culled immediately.
First rule is ruthless culling of the herd.
Life is too short to put up with a bad bull or crazy cow.
We would all be better off if cattlemen would learn to cull a bad bovine and not become pasture or paper's blind.

What would happen legally, if the "wild cow" decided to run through the fence and blind side a school bus full of children, lawyer's children, and they all suffered from whiplash? Who would pay?

lynnmcmahan":1xhml737 said:
What would happen legally, if the "wild cow" decided to run through the fence and blind side a school bus full of children, lawyer's children, and they all suffered from whiplash? Who would pay?
Realistically the person or company with the deepest pockets

hooknline":3glb3nv8 said:
lynnmcmahan":3glb3nv8 said:
Realistically the person or company with the deepest pockets

That would get me off the hook :banana:

We have some pretty wild cattle in our "neck of the woods" and they are often tolerated ( depending on the owner) because they run loose on the range and often do not see humans for months at a time and have to fight off bears, cougars, wolves and what ever else comes along.
However, I don't like them as they disturb the calmer animals, and often rouse them up and lead them off over hill and dale. I have seen a cow that charged a horse and rider, ( her calf was no where around) and just about knocked the horse off his feet. Seen critters that where so crazy that when released from a squeeze, ( they were only clipping the hair so the brand inspector could see the brand, nothing painful happened to the beast) the steer put people on top of that squeeze, and literally tried to climb up it to get at the people on top. They tried to clobber it to get it back down on the ground and off the squeeze!! That is CRAZY!!
My opinion is that beast should be dropped and hauled into the bush for coyote bait. They are crazy and they will hurt someone or kill them. Not worth it in my opinion.
We have tamed down a number of young range cattle, but it takes time and a good corral system and a sturdy squeeze. The animal is put in a corral with water and only a little feed. The next morning they are hungry, they have to come up to where you are to get their hay, or go hungry. If you think they may charge, stand on the outside of the corral, but stand next to the hay on the ground.
It takes a while, but most start to decide you are the reason they get something to eat, and usually start to calm down. Helps if you have a calm old cow that is friendly and will come up for grain or goodies.
Concerning the ownership of the cow. laws vary from area to area, and an attempt to contact the previous owner should be made. In our area there are cattle laws, but also something called "common ownership", or something like that, if a person does not pick up their property for 2 years, and an attempt has been made to contact them, one goes to the cops and they write out a statement that the "property" was abandoned and now belongs to the property owner.
Maybe your local sheriff -cops could help you on this issue. Hope it doesn't get too "sticky" as legal things can.
Not sure I would want this cow, probably tough. Would have to butcher her yourself if no butcher will take her.
Might be able to feed her some goodies and drop her when she is occupied...
Nite Hawk

3waycross":wwhzq0mk said:
tmlonghorns":wwhzq0mk said:
I am calling BullSh$t on those that believe the cow belongs to the previous owner. When the last guy signed the deed over unless there was an agreement that stated specifically something left behind was his and would be removed then the cow belongs to you. No different than leaving something behind in the house or in the barn.

The Texas law that was provided does not pertain to property or animals left behind. It simply states that if my cows get out the neighbor can't claim them as his just because they stopped on his property.

How do you know the cow didn't jump the fence and land in there. If you don't buy a cow or if it's not given to you then how do you suppose to own it. Luck?

Besides I would be more inclined to look at the the opposite. The land was deeded. the cow wasn't!

I know the cow did not jump the neighbors fence because 1) the original post indicated the previous owner left the cow and 2) IT HAS BEEN 3 YEARS.

Then do whatever you feel like. I told you to begin with eat her or sell her. How many pages of this does it take to make a descision.

3waycross- That's what I am planning on doing. I haven't been arguing about ownership and never even brought it up. That was the people who replied. I don't mind the advise though, because it did get me looking at out local laws. I think it would be humorous to watch one of our local sheriffs come and try and catch this cow.

She has calmed back down. She'll come within 10-15 feet of me again and she's hanging out with the herd. I still can't believe how she just snapped. She came into the corral, was eating some alfalfa cubes on the ground, but when that gate shut....she got that crazy look in her eye and went nuts.

tpd2021":1076m97f said:
3waycross- That's what I am planning on doing. I haven't been arguing about ownership and never even brought it up. That was the people who replied. I don't mind the advise though, because it did get me looking at out local laws. I think it would be humorous to watch one of our local sheriffs come and try and catch this cow.

The sheriff himself does not actually come get it. The county has contract cowboys they call and they come get it. ;-)

tpd2021":2xkbr9m6 said:

She has calmed back down. She'll come within 10-15 feet of me again and she's hanging out with the herd. I still can't believe how she just snapped. She came into the corral, was eating some alfalfa cubes on the ground, but when that gate shut....she got that crazy look in her eye and went nuts.

Sounds good. just don't wound her. If yer gonna do it do it right and drop her in her tracks.

In my county if there is an estray animal they will run it in the first unlocked gate they can find. They will notify the land owner and if he is ok with the animal being there it stays. After 21 days and the owner has not claimed it the animal then belongs to the land owner. The same applies if a animal was to jump a fence and get on your property. You just need to let the sheriff know.

Latest posts