cull or keep her?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a Hereford cow in body condition of 6 who just lost her calf (dead at birth)..She is about four yrs old and I don't know her history..Should I keep her and gamble on the next calf? If I am going to keep her, when can I expect her to be in heat again?

[email protected]

Keeping her would depend on how much expendable time and feed you have to try and wait another year. My limited experience has shown me that most of my cows will start cycling 21 days after the birth of the calf. Start watching on day 20... some are a little longer, and depending on the difficulty of the birth, highly likely... but I always figure 20 day intervals and keep watching until I see the standing heat. Most breeders wait until the second heat to breed back... I am a bit long on my herd, which will probably create some problems down the line. My dad has had a number of cows lose a calf at birth...and never again.

[email protected]

How good of a cow is she? If she freshened with plenty of milk why not graft a calf on her? If she doesn't have much milk (Herefords will fool you on that score) send her down the road. I wouldn't breed her on her calving heat, I'ld wait till the second, primarily so the calf bed can get back into shape to carry another calf. As Omak says, it also depends on the feed situation.

dunmovin farms

> I have a Hereford cow in body
> condition of 6 who just lost her
> calf (dead at birth)..She is about
> four yrs old and I don't know her
> history..Should I keep her and
> gamble on the next calf? If I am
> going to keep her, when can I
> expect her to be in heat again?

To me the risk outweighs the possible advantages. Maybe I'm too conservative but I'd sell her and never look back.

Latest posts