Cull cows

Help Support CattleToday:

BC":380e0wkv said:
Most dairymen could cull the bottom 5% of their herd and barely notice the drop in bulk tank readings.
Under normal circumstances the bottom 5% would still likely be making a profit in a well managed herd. Just because they are on the bottom doesn't mean they are garbage. [/quote]

Most of our local dairymen have told me that they saw almost no drop in bulk tank readings but did see a reduction in feed costs that were coming from cows that were not paying their way. Admittedly, all of our area daries are graziers. They do not have the high production but are able to produce at a cheaper rate when grain is high. Even those guys are hurting these days.

its a well know fact that culling the bottom 5% will raise milk pds in the tank or theyll stay the same.theres not a dairy running today that dont have 3 teated cows in their herd.an all dairies have cows in the barn that barely makes a profit.an all dairies have high scc cows.now cull those 3 groups of cows.an youll save feed an labor.oh yeah i forgot those pain in backside kicking cows.

bigbull338":m3p7xqcp said:
its a well know fact that culling the bottom 5% will raise milk pds in the tank or theyll stay the same.theres not a dairy running today that dont have 3 teated cows in their herd.an all dairies have cows in the barn that barely makes a profit.an all dairies have high scc cows.now cull those 3 groups of cows.an youll save feed an labor.oh yeah i forgot those pain in backside kicking cows.

I wish i had some of the cows I decided to cull out this past year-now. at these prices I need all the milk I can get.

GMN

Latest posts