Cull cow to burger ?

Help Support CattleToday:

ill add another question. got a bull that is 3 we will probably get rid of this summer. could i beef him as is or need to trim him first. how is the beef on a bull? Thanks.

Personally, I'd leave the steaks as roasts. You could always cut a steak yourself and try it. If it's too tough you could always just cook it as a roast.

I have never eaten bull meat. I was always told they are equal to a steer if harvested by 15 months of age. After that, the meat gets strong flavored because of the hormones and meat fiber gets "stringy".
Does anyone know if this is true??

Jeanne - Simme Valley":zgygujdp said:
I have never eaten bull meat. I was always told they are equal to a steer if harvested by 15 months of age. After that, the meat gets strong flavored because of the hormones and meat fiber gets "stringy".

Don't know whether is true or false, but I've never ate a tough hamburger.

Bull hamburger is the best there is but will need a little white fat added to it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2yvnq2ps said:
Had about a 1600 lb. registered holstein bull get electrocuted. We hauled him to processor, brought meat home and it was out of this world and he was breeding cattle hard and heavy. There was one roast one day that had a bit of a strong taste but only that one time. Had good marbling and was very tender. Of course he was eating 30 lbs. of an 18% dairy ration everyday along with wet brewers grain, alfalfa and hay as well so that probably helped.

When I butchered a bull about three y.o. a few of the steaks were very good but most were very tough.

The end cuts and flanks need to be ground for sure.

True Grit Farms":25j5hq0q said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":25j5hq0q said:

Don't know whether is true or false, but I've never ate a tough hamburger.
You have never had my wife's burgers :)