Cull Bull$$$

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually, to veer way off track again . . . . Found a "present" near the entrance to the ranch this morning. So what did I do? I Facebook shamed the scum, including the attached pic. I'll be darned if a neighbor didn't call me with a complete description of the truck, which they saw with the exact POS loveseat in the back on their way into town last night. My "present" has been disposed of (amazing how easy it was to move with the bale spear) and the eastern part of my county is on the lookout for a red Dodge - that looks almost as bad as the furniture they dumped.
So.....you gonna keep that???

Many years ago someone dumped bags of trash at the edge of my property. I proceeded to look thru the trash, dirty diapers and all. Finally found some mail. I drove to their house, in town. Opened each bag and dumped everything all over their yard. I put a note on their door explaining I didn't appreciate their trash on my yard.

Many years ago someone dumped bags of trash at the edge of my property. I proceeded to look thru the trash, dirty diapers and all. Finally found some mail. I drove to their house, in town. Opened each bag and dumped everything all over their yard. I put a note on their door explaining I didn't appreciate their trash on my yard.
Well played!! Last time, they dumped practically an entire household, including past due bills, credit card statements, family photos. Yes, they were that stupid! And yet, clearly drifters because the Sheriff Dept. couldn't find them.

Well played!! Last time, they dumped practically an entire household, including past due bills, credit card statements, family photos. Yes, they were that stupid! And yet, clearly drifters because the Sheriff Dept. couldn't find them.
We found a mattress this morning that had been left by the road by one of the farms. Thankfully it was on the other side of the drive on the part owned by the phone company.
I think there was a frame under it too, I didn't get to close, between the bedbugs and no telling what kind of cooties I wasn't gonna inspect it. I kind of wonder if somebody had been sleeping on it

That sounds very gratifying!

If theres identity information in it I prefer to get the law involved. Hit em where it hurts. In the pocket book!!

It's called job security,

Someone dumped garbage along my Mom's driveway, turned out the garbage had identifying mail in it, and the individual the garbage belonged to had paid someone to take it to the local refuse disposal site.. When the owner of the garbage was contacted he came and picked out any identifying items and left the rest of the garbage :rolleyes:

So, inquiring minds want to know...... What did you finally do about the bull and the neighbor that wanted to buy him?
Not a darn thing. It's been one of those weeks! But I plan to pull him and move him to the barn so I can put the other bulls in that pasture. If my potential buyer isn't able to come up with the cash by Wednesday morning, I'm taking him to the sale.

What's the average butcher/cull bull going for in your area?

As much as it pains me, it's time to sell Johnson. He's only 6 but his BSE wasn't great, I need new genetics and one of my other bulls is getting old enough/big enough to challenge him and they fight all the time - one of them is going to get hurt BAD (they've already busted through the fence, which even has a row of cattle panels for extra support, and ended out on the road).

Had every intention of just taking him to the sale barn, but a guy that bought some of my bred cows last years wants to buy him (for cull price), then turn around & sell him, also as cull. Fine with me and my vet assured us both that he definitely still has game. I called the owner of our local sale barn and he said last weeks' butcher bulls were .80 on the low end ( for ancient, scraggly bulls) and the top bid was .94. He knows my stock and they're fully vaccinated, well taken care of, and suggested .90 for Johnson. Vet put him at a solid 2200 lbs. at his BSE, so I said I'd sell him for .87/$1914, which is the average of the high/low last week.

Seems the potential buyer was expecting to pay substantially less and may not have the funds available. Am I being unreasonable?
I bought a 6 y/o bull this spring. He was from a PB herd. He above $8,000.00 as a long yearling. I gave $100.00 above killer value. Your price is very reasonable. I wouldn't take any less. I like too buy older proven bulls. It allows me to buy and use genetics I can't afford as a commercial breeder when they are 1-2 y/o. If I only get one calf crop it is cheaper than buying a $6,000.00 yearling that lasts a year.

I'm surprised anyone would want a 6 year old used bull for breeding. Along with age, comes several other problems like the fighting you mentioned. That bull would only sell here as a kill bull.
I prefer to buy a 5-8 y/o bull instead of an overfed, over priced yearling that has no proven record. With the older bulls can see daughters in production and also data on how sons have done. We have used bulls till they were 10-11 so an older bull gets an life extension here. We each have different management practices.

@TCRanch
These guys have come up with another idea!
Discount price in exchange for a heifer or bull calf of your choosing next year from his calf crop!

Best of luck!
I've heard prices are going down a bit. Hope it holds well for you guys up there!

Someone dumped garbage along my Mom's driveway, turned out the garbage had identifying mail in it, and the individual the garbage belonged to had paid someone to take it to the local refuse disposal site.. When the owner of the garbage was contacted he came and picked out any identifying items and left the rest of the garbage :rolleyes:
Years ago, in the very rural country around Kaycee, Wy, there was a ranch that was easy access to the people from the town of Casper. Ranch owner was riding one fine day and he came upon trash where people had camped and left a mess. He went through the garbage and found some mail with addresses!! He loaded the trash up, drove to Casper and dumped it on the guilty party's lawn and drove away. You might not get by with doing that today, but he dang sure did it. Good for him.

Actually, to veer way off track again . . . . Found a "present" near the entrance to the ranch this morning. So what did I do? I Facebook shamed the scum, including the attached pic. I'll be darned if a neighbor didn't call me with a complete description of the truck, which they saw with the exact POS loveseat in the back on their way into town last night. My "present" has been disposed of (amazing how easy it was to move with the bale spear) and the eastern part of my county is on the lookout for a red Dodge - that looks almost as bad as the furniture they dumped.
Hope you find the owners so you can return it. We get folks from town dropping garbage, sticks and leaves all the time in the ditches and our approaches if the dump is closed when they want to go. That's why I've been advocating that the country folk sneak into town at night around Christmas to cut down the fancy evergreen trees they grow for Christmas trees!

I keep the ditches round the quarter finish mowed here. Couple have a few trees that I care for as well. Last year some turd came down the road with a ginormous header and destroyed my trees. No reason for it either. There was plenty of room on the other side to move over. I started making calls as I knew who was harvesting in the area. No one would own up to it, but county said they would clean it up and take the trees out.

One of the farmers works for the county.

Several weeks later, wife was working at the local convenience store and the subject came up with some of the harvest crew.
Oh yeah, that was ol blind arse "Frank" or whatever his name was. Yep. Same guys crew that swore none of knew anything.

Lost a lot of respect an old fella that day.

Latest posts