Cull Bull$$$

Help Support CattleToday:

What's the average butcher/cull bull going for in your area?
Had every intention of just taking him to the sale barn, but a guy that bought some of my bred cows last years wants to buy him (for cull price), then turn around & sell him, also as cull.
2000 - 2100 lb bulls are selling for 92- 98 cents lb in Minnesota sale barns
with overly fat bulls bringing 92 cents

Sale barn charges an extra $50 bull handling fee on top of regular commissions

I'm surprised anyone would want a 6 year old used bull for breeding. Along with age, comes several other problems like the fighting you mentioned. That bull would only sell here as a kill bull.

I'm surprised anyone would want a 6 year old used bull for breeding. Along with age, comes several other problems like the fighting you mentioned. That bull would only sell here as a kill bull.
It depends on his setup, if he has a small herd or is just starting out its hard to justify the more expensive younger bulls for 10-15 cows. I have done it before with good success but its also a risk. I bought a 6yo for $1800 from a guy down the road that was headed to the sale barn, used him for 90 days and sold him for a small profit (very small) at the sell barn. I was tickled to dead cause the only thing it cost me was time and grass, he could have broken a leg or whatever and i would have been out of luck but that happens with young bulls too.

Cull bulls here sold for $85-$96 on Monday. I would do what "wbvs58" said and take him to the sale barn for your buyer to pick up at the Going Rate. That way he won't feel like you asked too much for him, and he will get a deal. He is only going to keep him for a short time, so why give him the bull cheaper. He will get the profit. He will continue to try to buy "cheap" bulls.

What's the average butcher/cull bull going for in your area?

As much as it pains me, it's time to sell Johnson. He's only 6 but his BSE wasn't great, I need new genetics and one of my other bulls is getting old enough/big enough to challenge him and they fight all the time - one of them is going to get hurt BAD (they've already busted through the fence, which even has a row of cattle panels for extra support, and ended out on the road).

Had every intention of just taking him to the sale barn, but a guy that bought some of my bred cows last years wants to buy him (for cull price), then turn around & sell him, also as cull. Fine with me and my vet assured us both that he definitely still has game. I called the owner of our local sale barn and he said last weeks' butcher bulls were .80 on the low end ( for ancient, scraggly bulls) and the top bid was .94. He knows my stock and they're fully vaccinated, well taken care of, and suggested .90 for Johnson. Vet put him at a solid 2200 lbs. at his BSE, so I said I'd sell him for .87/$1914, which is the average of the high/low last week.

Seems the potential buyer was expecting to pay substantially less and may not have the funds available. Am I being unreasonable?
Weigh up bulls are bringing $1.00/lb. Older bulls can a lot of times hit $2000 for an old bull! Keep in mind just how much hay and old bull eats.
Upwards of twice what a bred/calved cow requires!

Potential buyer only has a few cows & 2 heifers and he bought some steers sired by the bull last year. Johnson is super calving ease and throws nice stock. Plus, he's probably the most docile bull I've ever owned; the fighting is only because one of my younger bulls is challenging him. Big boy had an abscess the size of Dallas last year, the result of aforementioned fighting, and let me cut it open in the middle of the pasture with only a bowl of cubes to keep him occupied. Really hate to get rid of him, but it's part of having a cow/calf operation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_170123.jpg
    IMG_20200916_170123.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
I buy a used bull from time to time for an 80 acre place with 13-15 cows. But I look for a 3 or 4 year old that's garunteed. I've only picked 1 dud over the years, but it didn't cost me anything. It happened last month and is pivotal in my decision to lease out that place and bring those cows home.

Potential buyer only has a few cows & 2 heifers and he bought some steers sired by the bull last year. Johnson is super calving ease and throws nice stock. Plus, he's probably the most docile bull I've ever owned; the fighting is only because one of my younger bulls is challenging him. Big boy had an abscess the size of Dallas last year, the result of aforementioned fighting, and let me cut it open in the middle of the pasture with only a bowl of cubes to keep him occupied. Really hate to get rid of him, but it's part of having a cow/calf operation.
Your a real Trooper TC, you'll have a go at anything.

Ken

Vet put him at a solid 2200 lbs. at his BSE, so I said I'd sell him for .87/$1914, which is the average of the high/low last week.

Seems the potential buyer was expecting to pay substantially less and may not have the funds available. Am I being unreasonable?
Selling and buying used bulls is challenging. Price expectations run all the way from low end kill price to yearling auction price. Then how does it play if there are open cows? I gave a neighbor a deal on a proven bull and then he complained that 100% of his sales barn cows did not settle...

Ship him unless you can get a premium.

So your potential buyer wants him for only a few cows with a sun-par BSE? Does he think he'll magically correct at his place, or is he content with potentially open cows by the time he wants to flip him? I guess I don't understand why he wants a bull that is being culled for BSE status...

Lease him and tell him when he is done in 90 days, take him to the sale barn, in your name if you want to do him a favor..... thinking that no more cows than that, his less than perfect BSE should be fine. Or do as others have said... take to the sale, let the guy know when and when, and let him compete and buy at a fair price. Bulls in the 2-2500 lb range are bringing 90-1.05 here... so 2,000 is not too much for a kill bull in good shape as I am sure yours is.
You can only do favors if you are willing to lose money. I have finally said that is it, no more favors to anyone. Took some to the local guy instead of running them through the yard, and haven't gotten a check yet... I want them gone and the check in hand.....I will pay the commission to be sure I get paid and not wait.... I watch the markets and we try to sell when things are looking good... may not get top dollar, but would rather get a decent price and get paid right there and then.

So your potential buyer wants him for only a few cows with a sun-par BSE? Does he think he'll magically correct at his place, or is he content with potentially open cows by the time he wants to flip him? I guess I don't understand why he wants a bull that is being culled for BSE status...
In my initial post, I stated my vet assured me the bull still has game and I've provided my vet's contact info to the potential buyer. Johnson actually should have another good year, but again, I can't keep him with my other bulls anymore - one of them is going to get seriously hurt. Plus, he'd probably be breeding some of his daughters if I kept him with just the heifers and I need new stock.

He wants him because he's very happy with the calves he bought last year. Very small operation but doesn't want to AI. The point of the thread was to determine if pricing was accurate/fair. And it appears the market where I'm located is averaging less than what others have stated.

In my initial post, I stated my vet assured me the bull still has game and I've provided my vet's contact info to the potential buyer. Johnson actually should have another good year, but again, I can't keep him with my other bulls anymore - one of them is going to get seriously hurt. Plus, he'd probably be breeding some of his daughters if I kept him with just the heifers and I need new stock.

He wants him because he's very happy with the calves he bought last year. Very small operation but doesn't want to AI. The point of the thread was to determine if pricing was accurate/fair. And it appears the market where I'm located is averaging less than what others have stated.
Sorry-I forgot the rest of the important details😉

TCRanch, you probably don't get up to the North too far, but the Garnett Sale barn is not more! They sold the corner to Casesy's for a new store. For around here only Overbrook and Paola are left, then it's down to Ft Scott.

If he wants your bull, have him agree to pay what bulls are bringing at the next sale. Load him up and take him home. Forget the sale barn, to much aggravation.

I love how this thread went from "cull bull$$"
To "how can I help my neighbor?"

Lots of good folks around still!
Actually, to veer way off track again . . . . Found a "present" near the entrance to the ranch this morning. So what did I do? I Facebook shamed the scum, including the attached pic. I'll be darned if a neighbor didn't call me with a complete description of the truck, which they saw with the exact POS loveseat in the back on their way into town last night. My "present" has been disposed of (amazing how easy it was to move with the bale spear) and the eastern part of my county is on the lookout for a red Dodge - that looks almost as bad as the furniture they dumped.

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_123516.jpg
    IMG_20210827_123516.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28

Latest posts