Crystalyx?

Help Support CattleToday:

You are paying for the convenience. and paying high at that. The lick wheel supplemnt tubs are much more economical. They're a good enough product, but expensive. There are any number of companys that have the same basdic product, and they all run about the same.

dun

> What is the opinion of using
> Crystalyx tubs in the winter? Have
> been told to use them and hay with
> no additional grain? Any thoughts
> would be welcomed.

I have used crystalyx hi mag in my simmentals with just good grass hay in very sub zero weather here in Canada with no grain supplementation. We were very pleased with the product but the cost was a little on the painful side. I liked the mineral balance, the molasses and the lack of wastage (if it rained on the product and filled the tub, they'd drink the water...)but then you have lots of tubs when they're empty to use up... JMHO V

ilke the crystalyx i have tried other similar products that were cheaper and you get what you pay for. we pay a deposit and then we trade our tubs in when we buy another.
> I have used crystalyx hi mag in my
> simmentals with just good grass
> hay in very sub zero weather here
> in Canada with no grain
> supplementation. We were very
> pleased with the product but the
> cost was a little on the painful
> side. I liked the mineral balance,
> the molasses and the lack of
> wastage (if it rained on the
> product and filled the tub, they'd
> drink the water...)but then you
> have lots of tubs when they're
> empty to use up... JMHO V

[email protected]

Like others have said, there are many types of protein supplements out there. The liquid is cheaper, but when you do MIG on many plots, it is difficult to have a tank in each field, and moving them is not possible, so tubs fit the bill for us.

WE do not have Crystalyx locally, but have Thermolass and Feed in a Drum (FID). $75 plus or minus for a 250 lb. tub. FID comes in a metal tub which you pay a deposit on and return for credit - I like that. I also like the fact that it has a good combination of minerals in it, so all one has to do is put out a white salt block and the rest are in the drum.

We have used the liquids with the lick wheel in the top of the tub. We mounted it on wide skids and dragged it to another spot when we change water points. We used the same water points for multiple paddocks. With wide enough skids it won't tear up the ground too bad, even in mud.

dun

> Like others have said, there are
> many types of protein supplements
> out there. The liquid is cheaper,
> but when you do MIG on many plots,
> it is difficult to have a tank in
> each field, and moving them is not
> possible, so tubs fit the bill for
> us.

> WE do not have Crystalyx locally,
> but have Thermolass and Feed in a
> Drum (FID). $75 plus or minus for
> a 250 lb. tub. FID comes in a
> metal tub which you pay a deposit
> on and return for credit - I like
> that. I also like the fact that it
> has a good combination of minerals
> in it, so all one has to do is put
> out a white salt block and the
> rest are in the drum.

We used Crystalyx last winter and did not feel that our cattle benefited from this product. In fact, I feel that our cattle faired poorly over the winter while using this product as the label recommended. This winter (2003) I will used my money to feed a better ration rather than the Crystalyx. Originally our supplier indicated that the drums would be reusable, but now I have 20+ drums sitting around that are anything short of being reusable!

Just curious, what type of ration you had last winter. It's suprising to me that they would fair worse when using Crystalyx.