Crystal Lick

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with this.

Partner has a buddy that raises cattle and told him that in winter he doesn't grain or feed hay. Nothing extra. Lets the cattle gets what's left in the pasture and puts out the Crystal Lick for protein.

Guess what I'd like to know is what it is and if it's complete enough to use that way.

Doesn't sound right to me but I'm still learning.

dont' know bout crystal lick, sounds like he starves his cattle though. got to have some kind of filler for them

trip":1cayfmee said:
dont' know bout crystal lick, sounds like he starves his cattle though. got to have some kind of filler for them
In my opinion, Crystalyx has about priced themselves out of the market. Yes it's a good product, but there are other "lick" tubs out there with the same benefit, but affordable. You have to still supplement your cattle with hay and salt. It's not meant to be fed as a sole ration. It is a Supplement.

I suppose it depends where you're at as to whether or not you can get away with not feeding hay. Wintertime here, and the grass is covered with two feet of snow in most areas, drifts deeper in others. My cattle and horses would starve to death if I didn't feed hay.

Back east you might not have to feed much, if any hay.

http://www.crystalyx.com
I usually use these, they are spendy. About $75 a barrel. But I find the consumption rate is usually right on. I have put out some $35 barrelsto have them empty the next day. In the late fall/winter when on stlks and running out of grain I use the BGF 30%, when they get into the lot and are on just hay/silge with no distillers, they get pro-phos. They have a new one with either rumensin or bovatech called iono-lyx. If I hadn't decided to go all natural on the calves this year I would've put that out for 'em. My only complaint is that they are so heavy you need to get the loader out to get 'em into the truck to take them out to the pastures. Maybe 2 men could load em? You also get about $7-8 back on the empty tubs. Second choice for me is the Power Keg from Vita Ferm. http://www.biozymeinc.com Pretty good consumption rate. Biggest complaint was they are all card board tubs. A bit of wet snow turns 'em into a pile of junk, and the cattle have to eat some collapsed cardboard to get the mineral.

Dee what is the consumption rate on the crystalyx lix?
I'm using Vita-Ferms breed back tub with animine and they seem to using 2+ lb.s a day :-(

Up to 3/4 of a pound usually. Vita-Ferm looks like a great product. We have to order a LARGE quantity and have the semi stop to get it here, and with the product price and extra to drop off it's a bit much. Are you impressed with the product? You'll have to let me know your breed back sucess. They rally push the "ama-ferm advantage". I took a tag in last year and had the feed mill mix something close to it for less $. I think the yeast is a great additive .

trip":3s4rakbh said:

I'm probably giving the wrong impression here. The last few winters have been pretty open and where guys had been selling off in the fall a lot of them kept their stock because they had plenty of forage left in the pasture.

The fellow in question has filler out there for them.

Sorry if you had the wrong idea :oops:

Latest posts