Cryptosporidium Parvum in Humans

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score
I did a search and only came up with cases in cattle. I was diagnosed with it this morning. Wondering if anyone on here can help? The reason i am posting on a cattle website instead of seeking more medical advice is because the doctors here didnt offer much information and I am looking for firsthand experiences. My main questions are: Once I am rid of it, can I get it again? Will my system ever completely be rid of it? What else to expect?

Also, doc thinks i most likely caught it from spreading dairy manure (alot!) or from handling sick baby calves. It has not yet been determined what the calves have, but as of now it looks like crypto

Very common problem in calves. We use Deccox trough day 14 to control it in calves, but in humans I don't know. I do know if we hire people not from a farm to work in calves they always get sick and I have wondered about crypto, but never knew for sure. I do know whatever it does not seem to bother us. The people that get sick seem to recover in time and I'm sure you will too. Write your questions down and go to your doctor again, it is too hard to remember everything while your there.

Larry

from http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199 ... um-in.html

Crytosporidium species are intestinal parasites that infect a variety of animals; Cryptosporidium hominis (synonym: Cryptosporidium parvum genotype 1) and C. parvum (synonym: C. parvum genotype 2) are the 2 most commonly identified species that cause disease (cryptosporidiosis) in humans (1,2). The main symptom of cryptosporidiosis is diarrhea, which may be accompanied by dehydration, weight loss, abdominal pain, fever, nausea, and vomiting (3). In England and Wales, [approximately equal to] 5,000 cases are reported annually (4). Disease, although lasting for up to 2 weeks, is usually self-limiting in immunocompetent persons but may be chronic and more severe in immunocompromised patients (5). Furthermore, C. hominis is associated with increased risk of postinfection symptoms (6).

more at link
--------------------------------

From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap24.html

Intestinal cryptosporidiosis is self-limiting in most healthy individuals, with watery diarrhea lasting 2-4 days. In some outbreaks at day care centers, diarrhea has lasted 1 to 4 weeks. To date, there is no known effective drug for the treatment of cryptosporidiosis.

more at lnk - it also lists a bunch of cases of food-borne outbreaks.

-------------------

For what its worth wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidium

(mentions water-borne cases)

I got it myself about 17 years ago. I didn't realize what it was until it reoccured the third time in about 8 months. Ended up in the hospital for five days. Treated it with Erythromyacin (sp?) which is funny, because that's also a cattle drug!

I've been fine ever since, but it's sypmtoms are similar to the flu. Good luck!

Man that sucks about you catching that stuff, I had 6 calves with it this past spring. Lost 3 of them to it. There is no treatment really for it, just keep yourself or calves very hydrated. Lots of fluids and TLC. Hope you get better. It is easily spread from animals to humans. I will wear gloves from now on dealing with sick calves and wash up real good when done.

Wick":167jb8da said:
Man that sucks about you catching that stuff, I had 6 calves with it this past spring. Lost 3 of them to it. There is no treatment really for it, just keep yourself or calves very hydrated. Lots of fluids and TLC. Hope you get better. It is easily spread from animals to humans. I will wear gloves from now on dealing with sick calves and wash up real good when done.

just keep washing and dont touch your face after touching calves until you have washed real good. the main transfer is feces to mouth, a comforting thought.