Cry babies

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Steers weaned this past Friday.... with one heck of a time to get them in the corral, after their last visit... "snip-snip". Hubby was chasing em down with the 4 wheeler with a "die or go in the corral... I have a lot of gas!" :lol: :lol:
View attachment 2

This is the guy that swelled really bad, after castration.
View attachment 1

This guy has been one of my favorites this year, he was born with contracted tendons out of hubby's fav cow and it took him almost 3 weeks to be "normal", this is the 1st time we have ever had that happen...

Michele

Good looking calves. Do you get discounted at the sale barn for that gray calf?

Brother and I used to have some gray cows and gray calves when we purchased my dad's herd. Don't have them anymore, but the gray calves would get hit pretty hard at the auction.

Twice we have sold conditioned with a few greys in the mix, no discount on the steers, they sold as a lot together. Heifers, were split out, but ended up selling for same price. On fats that went to auction, again no discount, sold as a lot. I tend to have very few greys, probably 1 out of 10 on avg. This years, we have 3 of the 27. But, I have noticed, that when we get a grey, and it varies who the momma is, they tend to frame out bigger than the blacks... but finish just as well, just a bigger hanging weight.

Michele

Nice calves. We get grays too and they sell the same as the blacks, sometimes better. Do you find that the wood chips help on the mud? looks so nice and clean, wondered if that was the purpose.

Thanks donnaIL- actually not wood chips, but baled up corn stalks. We bale only enough stalks to put down one bale a week for the steers during the winter. Husband calls it their bed.... "to make tender beef" ;-)

Michele

Good looking calves Michele.... I have had the same disposition as your hubby, when trying to get calves in a corral. "die or go in the corral" :lol: :lol:
And BTW, you can keep that snowy winter weather up there! ;-)

mike my dad had that same temperment.there wasnt a cow calf or bull that got the best of him.because if he got madd.he would drive hard an fast ion the truck right on their tail.an he would bump an push them qwith the truck.his truck was full of dents from bumping cows.

bigbull338":10d98fxp said:
mike my dad had that same temperment.there wasnt a cow calf or bull that got the best of him.because if he got madd.he would drive hard an fast ion the truck right on their tail.an he would bump an push them qwith the truck.his truck was full of dents from bumping cows.

The cows I dont have a problem with... its usually the calves.
Sorry Michele, didnt mean to "jack" your thread.

I like your tender beef bed!!! If you put down all that bedding, do you have your lots cleaned yearly or more often? I imagine they munch around on the stalks too. Nice looking calves.

Thanks guys! Jack the thread all you want! ;-) Somtimes hubby's stubbornness comes in REAL handy! And yep, the cows go in no problem, its those dang calves that are clueless!

They are locked in corral for time being, then released into a pasture adjacent to the cows. The corral will not get cleaned until spring, as frozen crap is too hard on the spreader :lol:

When put into the pasture, same thing applies, the yard will not get cleaned until the spring thaw!

We have 2 that are almost finished, 1 that will be finished in a couple months. Then there are 9 calves born this spring. The 2 that were born this fall will be weaned in the spring.

Michele

Looks too cold up there for me......

I have found that the more extreme the weather, the more stupid that the calves get. :dunce:

Latest posts