Crows - ever happened to you?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with crows biting the tongue of a calf which is being delivered?

We had one years ago, and chalked it up to being bad luck, a bit of a freak incident.

This year in about a week we have had three kids get bitten. We also had one about three months ago.

Its a pain, because the poor little tackers cant suck, so we have to tube feed for a week, then bottle feed for a week, then they can get back onto their mums.

Haven't had a history of crows, but magpies years ago were getting on the cows backs and pecking at the brands and causing them to bleed. Father in law had a quick solution, a .22 round.

Gees, never had the crows thing happen..........had yotes and dogs , and wild pigs waiting for calves to be born, but crows?

Folks, it's a cruel world out there...and a bit of spiked corn or .22 helps to keep the balance tilted on your side.....Yikes did I say that? ;-) :cboy:

Yeah bullets are cheap but the problem is the bl00dy things tend to land in between two goats! Have one flying around with a mussed up tail, but thats all so far. Still got around 30 to kid down so it will be all hands on deck to keep the crows away.

few years past buzzards was killing new born calves all around my area we was lucky to not loose any but had a close call. i heard a loud shot and then the phone rang it was my uncle he said he just killed a buzzard trying to kill a new calf for me.

kept a close watch out from then on and i helped thin out the buzzard population every chance i got and still do.