Crowder peas--freeze in water or just in the ziplock?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Shelled a bushel of peas last night and gonna blanch them today. (I swear every year, I'm going to buy me one of those pea shellers--fingers hurt this morning)
I've always just blanched 'em for 90 seconds, cooled them, filled a qt freezer bag and dropped 'em in the freezer but have read where some say they keep better if you blanch, cool, put them in the bag and then add water, then freeze them.
I've also got a couple doz of the Rubbermaid 1 qt plastic containers I could use.

Does it make any difference?

We got to where we don't blanch them anymore. We shell them right into a pillow sack then throw in the freezer. Just scoop out what you want to cook and put the sack back in the freezer.

Yep, I have heard of people doing that as well LRTX1. I think I will just do what I have always done tho--running out of room in my freezer anyway, as well as room on my canning shelves.

I don't know if it makes a big difference or not but I always steam blanch mine then vacuum seal.

Go ahead and spring for a sheller and when you do buy look at this one. They are great. Best I've seen anyway. They will shell anything and fast. Old fella down the road has one and he charges me $3/bushel. My MIL is anal about her peas and insists that they must be shelled by hand and she can tell when they aren't - but with this machine she can't tell and I'm not about to tell her any different.

http://www.rotofingers.com/index.htm

Blanch and cool then fill your bags with the same water you blanched them in
I can say with out a doubt they will keep 10 years.

I'm not even sure I will 'keep' 10 more years--I know my freezer won't.
Blanched, in containers covered with water and in the freezer now.
Thanks all.

Butterbeans are next..........

greybeard":3ledi4kh said:
http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=18017

Thanks Joe, but for that price, ($1340) I can hire a lot of human pea shellers. Too rich for my wallet.

Is expensive BUT you can make some money with one if a lot of people garden in your area. Of course its all cash so maybe you wouldn't make any money with one. ;-)

We blanch and cover with water. I agree with 10 or more years. My mother told me last week that she cooked some that were 7 years old, and they tasted
fresh. I also clean fish and put them in water to freeze. This is by far the best way that I know to keep fish and shrimp.

greybeard":2rgnvje4 said:
Shelled a bushel of peas last night and gonna blanch them today. (I swear every year, I'm going to buy me one of those pea shellers--fingers hurt this morning)
I've always just blanched 'em for 90 seconds, cooled them, filled a qt freezer bag and dropped 'em in the freezer but have read where some say they keep better if you blanch, cool, put them in the bag and then add water, then freeze them.
I've also got a couple doz of the Rubbermaid 1 qt plastic containers I could use.

Does it make any difference?
GB the past few years my wife has been simply taking her shelled peas and putting them into something like a pillow case and putting them in the freezer...do not wet them or wash them...just pour out of the pan into the pillow case...the will not freezer burn, stick together or go bad.....get ready for some just take a cup and get what you want out of the bag and then you can wash, clean and cook..they will taste like you just picked them. .....sure takes a lot of work out of the process.

Latest posts