crossing state lines?

Help Support CattleToday:

newcattleman

Reaction score
I live in Iowa and am wanting to purchase some calves from Illinois. Was wondering if I have to have them tested for anything or have any kind of papers if I do cross state lines with them. I have been looking online and not having much luck finding my answer and thought someone here might know. They would be sale barn calves, would the vet there give me what I needed.

I'm not sure about where you live but I buy from the sale barn in Louisiana sometimes and bring them to texas . Paper work from the barn works here . As long as the state you are buying from and your state have the same livestock rules you should be ok . But you can call your ag extension guy for info

i live right in the northeast conor of missouri. and go to a sale barn in iowa that handles cattle every week from iowa missouri and Illinois. dont seem to be any problem and on our paper work there is a vet check fee and have bought calves there in the past and never worried what state they came from

yes you need health papers to cross state lines. if buying from a salebarn they will test them & give papers for crossing lines. if buying from an individual you need a vet to draw blood to get paperwork. some states are different but most vets can tell you what is needed.

thanks the people here I have talked to said they didnt know if it was required but that they have never been checked. I figured with my luck I would get stopped.

Latest posts