Crossing Normande on Black Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Ran into a commercial operator at a local auction and he had some interesting approaches. Currently he is using "beef" Normande bulls on black cows to made "black baldies". Saw a few, and they were much thicker than the average BA/Hereford cross. Kit may want to get in on this composite.

Have you seen an other examples of this cross?

I've only seen a few Normande herds and they sure didn;t all have white faces. More splotchy then baldy. Can't figure out how a non-homozygous white face could consistantly create baldies.

dun":rlroeez4 said:
I've only seen a few Normande herds and they sure didn;t all have white faces. More splotchy then baldy. Can't figure out how a non-homozygous white face could consistantly create baldies.

I was wondering that myself. Almost sounds more like Montbeliarde than Normande. They will throw the white face most of the time.

http://www.creativegeneticsofca.com/doc ... _redon.htm

The big problem with using either the Normande or Montebeliarde is that they are primarily dairy breeds ( the Montebeliarde in particular) that are used to add functionality to Holsteins. The elite cows of either bred will give 15,000 to 20,000 Lb of milk a year so you run the risk of putting too much milk in your herd. The beef type are also few and far between in both breeds since dairy traits are emphasized. I used Montebeliarde when they first came over. They are better bagged that Simmental but milk too much for beef cattle and lack muscle.
The Normande also gives you BF % and protein and is smaller along with less milk. A composite with Hereford might not be a bad idea but the result might be too technicolor to sell by Auction.

VanC":108mvm21 said:
Almost sounds more like Montbeliarde than Normande. They will throw the white face most of the time.
That's what I had thought too.

VLS_GUY":8vqao0is said:
The big problem with using either the Normande or Montebeliarde is that they are primarily dairy breeds ( the Montebeliarde in particular) that are used to add functionality to Holsteins. The elite cows of either bred will give 15,000 to 20,000 Lb of milk a year so you run the risk of putting too much milk in your herd. The beef type are also few and far between in both breeds since dairy traits are emphasized. I used Montebeliarde when they first came over. They are better bagged that Simmental but milk too much for beef cattle and lack muscle.
The Normande also gives you BF % and protein and is smaller along with less milk. A composite with Hereford might not be a bad idea but the result might be too technicolor to sell by Auction.
The Normandes I've seen are beefier then most dairy types other then Flekvieh. They claim they do marble well though. I had looked at using a Normande bull on some of the Red Angus cows to get a little more heterosis but the locals that have them are really proud of their bull calves and the semen was way way too much money. They must figure the stuff is laced with gold or something.

Stocker Steve":13flf92l said:
dun":13flf92l said:
I've only seen a few Normande herds and they sure didn;t all have white faces.

I like eye patches, and a few crazy faces are OK with me also.

Interesting, Stocker Steve! Your comments about eye patches and crazy faces caused me to wonder - WHY?

DOC HARRIS

Interesting, Stocker Steve! Your comments about eye patches and crazy faces caused me to wonder - WHY?
DOC HARRIS[/quote]

Google eyes or eye patches seem to reduce the amount of pink eye.
I don't have problems often with my cows, who have been vaccinated for pink eye,
but calves w/o goggle eyes seem to have more pink eye problems.

I have a few crazy faces in the herd. Seems to usually be due to a shorthorn cross, and they raise some of the bigger calves. Calves are a little bigger than angus/hereford crosses at birth and also seem to get more milk than most.

That and crazy faces are the only way you can have anything with a little color variety and not get docked at the salebarn. I miss my spotted Simmis! (The spots, not the 9 frames)

Latest posts