Crossing electric fences

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
For some reason the answer to my question seems to me like it should be a no brainer, I guess I have no brain. I'm in the process of disconnecting half a hot fenced area (runs off of one hot box) and adding another hot box. My question is what happens if I miss a spot and keep the two areas wired together and cross the two hot box circuits? As simple as nothing or blowing a fuse?

Thanks... If I only had a brain :???:

Scarecrow

Alan":3sgifqsy said:
For some reason the answer to my question seems to me like it should be a no brainer, I guess I have no brain. I'm in the process of disconnecting half a hot fenced area (runs off of one hot box) and adding another hot box. My question is what happens if I miss a spot and keep the two areas wired together and cross the two hot box circuits? As simple as nothing or blowing a fuse?

Thanks... If I only had a brain :???:

Scarecrow

Alan, I don't know what will happen but the instructions with my latest charger was to never put two chargers on the same fence. JFWIW

I guess it would be like switching the cables to jump a car, but to a much lesser extent. You're probably going to get power going in on a fencer on the side where it should be going out. Probably not a good combination. I would make sure there is a break between teh two of them just for safety's sake.

I asked the folks at Gallagher the same quesiton about 10 years ago. Their answer was that it will screw up one of the chargers, maybe both. Could happen sooner or later but they thought it was more likely to me later. Problem is I didn;t ask them "How much later?"

I am not sure that anything will happen.

I recently helped my neighbor work out the kinks in his electric fence. Put a better ground system and some clamps in. Then I started checking the lines dedicated to one energizer (he has two). Energizer off. Go checking line and find a major fault, touching page wire. Go to move e-wire, so far so good. Happen to touch the page wire at the same time and get a little jolt in my hand. Passed it off as a cramp and kept working with the e-wire. Then, holding the wire and touching a rebar e-fence post, get a sharper pain. Now I start wondering why my hand is cramping so bad. Neighbour comes along to check what is taking so long. I explain the situation....and then he laughs and remembers that the two energizers are probably linked by a line in the back 40! So while one was shut off, I was still getting fried by the other one. :roll:

He had been running both that way for a few weeks, so I suppose it won't blow up if you forget to unhook your lines.

As to whether one or the other will get damaged depends on the voltage and design of the individual charges. If they are 2 of the same kind and voltage then probably nothing will happen. But I don't see anything good coming from it either. Electrically, It would be kind of like connecting 2 batteries in parallel. If one is a higher voltage than the other then it may fry the protection circuit in the lower voltage one. An advantage to keeping them on separate circuits is that if you get a short on the fence somewhere it only affects one fence line and not the other. Same thing goes for lightening strikes.

Jogeephus when you say loop do you mean a little place you have twisted..If so I have done that because i have rapped the insulators and had to have a way to tighten so i twisted the wire it tightened it but if yo do it to tight with to little gage of wire it can break

Dixieangus":a2tx2eic said:
Jogeephus when you say loop do you mean a little place you have twisted..If so I have done that because i have rapped the insulators and had to have a way to tighten so i twisted the wire it tightened it but if yo do it to tight with to little gage of wire it can break

No, what I mean is what would happen if you made a complete circle with the wire where the voltage out of the charger was able to come back to the charger itself. Would this harm the charger? (don't know why you would ever have need of doing this I have just always wondered)

Jogeephus":1lr1f4pk said:
Dixieangus":1lr1f4pk said:

No, what I mean is what would happen if you made a complete circle with the wire where the voltage out of the charger was able to come back to the charger itself. Would this harm the charger? (don't know why you would ever have need of doing this I have just always wondered)

Looping a long wire back to the charger should not hurt it anymore than than looping a one inch wire back to it. It may be interesting for some to know that on pulse chargers the pulse is actually reflected back to the charger from the open end of the line where the charger reflects it again and so on and so on. Each time the pulse travels/is reflected down the line it looses a little energy to heat and radiation until it is totally gone. Kind of like letting a spring go after it has been compressed or stretched. Of course with the electric pulse this reflecting business is happening at the speed of light and so the pulse is disapated/used up in about a microsecond after the charger sends it.

as stated earlier, one of the energizers will eventually burn out from receiving the stray signal repeatedly. HOWEVER, WORSE CASE SCENARIO: THE ENERGIZER THAT BURNS OUT COULD CAUSE STRAIGHT 110V AC TO BE APPLIED TO THE FENCE SYSTEM.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

dcara":2lzkyvfh said:
Jogeephus":2lzkyvfh said:
Dixieangus":2lzkyvfh said:

Looping a long wire back to the charger should not hurt it anymore than than looping a one inch wire back to it. It may be interesting for some to know that on pulse chargers the pulse is actually reflected back to the charger from the open end of the line where the charger reflects it again and so on and so on. Each time the pulse travels/is reflected down the line it looses a little energy to heat and radiation until it is totally gone. Kind of like letting a spring go after it has been compressed or stretched. Of course with the electric pulse this reflecting business is happening at the speed of light and so the pulse is disapated/used up in about a microsecond after the charger sends it.

Thanks for the explanation that makes perfect sense.

Latest posts