Crossing Braford with Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I am running a hereford bull with hereford heifers and black bragus heifers. I am picking up a braford(tiger stripe) heifer on Tuesday. Will the offspring be any good with a hereford bull and braford(tiger stripe) heifer. I dont know exactly what % the braford is but just looking for an idea of what to hope for

The offspring will just be good as a straight Hereford. It will be 3/4 Hereford or so, assuming that the heifer is F1 tigerstripe

My Grandfather ran some 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahma some of the best cows I have ever seen. They had Hereford markings some where red some retained the tiger stripes.

wacocowboy":qtu7z2ww said:
My Grandfather ran some 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahma some of the best cows I have ever seen. They had Hereford markings some where red some retained the tiger stripes.

In my opinion the best commercial cow for the heat, nice to look at, still enough Brahman for hardiness, yet enough hereford for fertility.

If Braford fixed its % at this instead of 5/8 3/8 they would have been a much bigger breed by now

3/4 Hereford and 1/4 Brahman are the best cows for my area other than the 1/2 Gert and 1/2 Hereford cross. I would love to have pasture full of either though.

I am trying to get all mine 3/4 Herf 1/4 Brimmer then an Angus bull.
Your way with a 3/4 calf you get the hybrid vigor of the Brahman/Hereford cross.
The Hereford/Brahman cross is actually the best for vigor.
With a Hereford bull you should hit a home run trim a little ear and tighten the hide.
Light read.
http://msucares.com/livestock/beef/geneticslunch4.pdf

KNERSIE":1qbxwhw1 said:
wacocowboy":1qbxwhw1 said:

In my opinion the best commercial cow for the heat, nice to look at, still enough Brahman for hardiness, yet enough hereford for fertility.

If Braford fixed its % at this instead of 5/8 3/8 they would have been a much bigger breed by now

You are probably right I think 1/4 x 3/4 would be better than 5/8 x 3/8. That breed sure needs to do something right now they can't keep up with Beefmaster, Brangus, Gert and Simbra.

My grandfather ran a 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman herd for over 50 years, great cattle for making money.

Waco, Brafords are not in the spotlight like some of the other Brahman crosses because they have stayed commercial while other crosses have active breed associations that moved into the show ring. Yall should see how cheap Beefmaster is in our market. Hard to find any Simbrah in our humidity. If it ain't a Brangus it's a Braford in most herds.

JWBrahman":d7ysw8dl said:
My grandfather ran a 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman herd for over 50 years, great cattle for making money.

Waco, Brafords are not in the spotlight like some of the other Brahman crosses because they have stayed commercial while other crosses have active breed associations that moved into the show ring. Yall should see how cheap Beefmaster is in our market. Hard to find any Simbrah in our humidity. If it ain't a Brangus it's a Braford in most herds.
can't imagine why they cant keep up with gert or simbrah..wouldn't trade a good Branford for em...

wacocowboy":n9ynplq4 said:
KNERSIE":n9ynplq4 said:
wacocowboy":n9ynplq4 said:

You are probably right I think 1/4 x 3/4 would be better than 5/8 x 3/8. That breed sure needs to do something right now they can't keep up with Beefmaster, Brangus, Gert and Simbra.

I bought a Simbra from a 4H FFA show one of the sorriest I every owned.
We all know that is not representative of the composite.
The only satisfaction I got out of that cow was helping a kid.

We had some cows they weren't the greatest. We had a Simbra bull and he was a money maker real good calving ease and these calves grew like crazy and did good in the barn.

ALACOWMAN":24e1ddzu said:
JWBrahman":24e1ddzu said:

can't imagine why they cant keep up with gert or simbrah..wouldn't trade a good Branford for em...

When I said they can't keep up I was talking about the UBB registered 3/8 x 5/8. A guy I know bought 50 mommas and 3 bulls all UBB registered from a ranches in LA. and TX. and they leave a lot to be desired. He was so disappointed in them he sold the bulls and bought 3 Char bulls and is slowly replaying the cows with F1 Charbray and F1 Braford. F1 Brafords and 3/4 x 1/4 Brafords are great cows but I have just been disappointed in the pure bred and registered stock.

IMO trying to standardize the cross in Braford it lost some of the pop
that Brangus and Beefmaster retained it never was as good as the F-1 or the 1/4 cross again IMO.
I think they just couldn't get off the ground well because the F-1 was in such high demand.
Certified Golden F-1 sales always drew premium prices.
Nothing can beat the Queen of the south when it comes to F-1 Tiger for growing off
a bunch of fine looking pounds and the scientific evidence is there to back it.
They come with a set of unique issues as well.
I have about got mine all a 1/4 good maternal cow that the crazy is gone.
They respond more like a Brahman than the F-1.

Caustic Burno":294nc24u said:
IMO trying to standardize the cross in Braford it lost some of the pop
that Brangus and Beefmaster retained it never was as good as the F-1 or the 1/4 cross again IMO.
I think they just couldn't get off the ground well because the F-1 was in such high demand.
Certified Golden F-1 sales always drew premium prices.
Nothing can beat the Queen of the south when it comes to F-1 Tiger for growing off
a bunch of fine looking pounds and the scientific evidence is there to back it.
They come with a set of unique issues as well.
I have about got mine all a 1/4 good maternal cow that the crazy is gone.
They respond more like a Brahman than the F-1.

I agree.

Latest posts