Crosses on Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

In a pasture or range environment what types of cattle crosses do very well? And will also produce enough good quailty milk to feed more then just their own calves?

Thank you

[email protected]

My preference would be for moderate framed relatively heavy milkers. GelbviehX Angus, HerefordXAngus. In a pasture environement these do quite well, on range I would prefer a little less milk and be satisfied that the cow can raise one good calf each year. In a hot envoronemtn on range with scattered water supplies 1/4 Brahman or so will help spread out the grazing area and better utilize the water resources. It also depends on what kind of range. We ran cows on some that could support a cow-calf pair per 50 acres and we've also run them in areas that 350 acres was barely enough for a pair.

dunmovin farms

> In a pasture or range environment
> what types of cattle crosses do
> very well? And will also produce
> enough good quailty milk to feed
> more then just their own calves?

> Thank you

A great deal depends on what part of the counrty you are in, in the South I would say a Brahman Holstien F1, they have good frame, excellent milk, heat tollerance, high fertility and farage well, but for the best results when using them as nurse cows I recommend supplementing them with a lactation ration.

Michelle

[email protected]

> My preference would be for
> moderate framed relatively heavy
> milkers. GelbviehX Angus,
> HerefordXAngus. In a pasture
> environement these do quite well,
> on range I would prefer a little
> less milk and be satisfied that
> the cow can raise one good calf
> each year. In a hot envoronemtn on
> range with scattered water
> supplies 1/4 Brahman or so will
> help spread out the grazing area
> and better utilize the water
> resources. It also depends on what
> kind of range. We ran cows on some
> that could support a cow-calf pair
> per 50 acres and we've also run
> them in areas that 350 acres was
> barely enough for a pair.

> dunmovin farms

I live in New York State. I'm trying to find out what crosses do very well in a pasture that is 1/4 woods and 3/4 grass but not the best grass fair to poor quailty and has lots of water. In other words, I want crosses that will be in or close to top condition in this environment without much supplimental food and may even be able to raise more than one calf. Temperature ranges from 65F to 100F in summer and -20F to 60F in winter. Water is very rarely a problem

[email protected]

Under those conditions I would still go with a baldy, either black or red. There are high milking families in both Hereford and Angus breeds.

dunmovin farms

> I live in New York State. I'm
> trying to find out what crosses do
> very well in a pasture that is 1/4
> woods and 3/4 grass but not the
> best grass fair to poor quailty
> and has lots of water. In other
> words, I want crosses that will be
> in or close to top condition in
> this environment without much
> supplimental food and may even be
> able to raise more than one calf.
> Temperature ranges from 65F to
> 100F in summer and -20F to 60F in
> winter. Water is very rarely a
> problem

A soil test and some lime and fertilizer per the test may really help the poor quality pasture and allow carrying more pairs or at least have higher weaning weights.

dunmovin farms

> I live in New York State. I'm
> trying to find out what crosses do
> very well in a pasture that is 1/4
> woods and 3/4 grass but not the
> best grass fair to poor quailty
> and has lots of water. In other
> words, I want crosses that will be
> in or close to top condition in
> this environment without much
> supplimental food and may even be
> able to raise more than one calf.
> Temperature ranges from 65F to
> 100F in summer and -20F to 60F in
> winter. Water is very rarely a
> problem

> heresy time. Some of NY has rough ground, wet in the bottoms, shallow soils on the hills so how about shorthorn-murray grey cross; moderate frame,excellent carcass, milk, pretty good grazers. Terminal cross to a herford bull, max heterosis, lots of herford bloodlines to choose from, pick one for calving ease and max daily gain.

[email protected]

You might want to look at saler/angus cross cows (also known as optimizer) bred to Augus if you will retain ownership or Charolais if you will be selling at weaning. This will produce a large calf (650-800 lb at weaning) that has exceptional growth in the feedlot and will produce a consistant YG 1-2 carcass that will consistantly (75%+)hit choice. They utilize rough pasture well and are very cold and heat tolerant. We used to raise them in Southern Minnesota.

[email protected]

How about real Shorthorns? If you raised registered purebred's ( or fullblood is available) you also have a rather decent Club Calf type market. Many of the good attributes from the breeds mentioned above owe that attribute to a Shorthorn in the wood pile.

[email protected]

Latest posts