CROSSBREEDING

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A local charolais breeder, that i've bought my last four bulls from, is crossing all his charolais cows with red angus bulls. I have'nt ask why,yet. My reason for writing is, he has some super looking 15 month old yellow bulls, half charolais- half red angus.I have charolais-beefmaster cross and f1 tiger striped cows. I like what i get out of the charolais bulls, what do some of you think about the charolais/red angus bull over the type of cows i have. [/b]

just curious, what do the charolais / beefmaster calves look like? I have a few beefmasters and am getting ready to breed them to a black angus bull, but my neighbor has a skinny charolais bull he has offered to let me use if I ever wanted too. Are the calves coming out pretty light colored?

Eric...suggest you let the neighbor keep his skinny bull!! In breeding you should select the very best bull you can find & afford. You get what you pay for...in case of neighbor's "free"?? bull...well..."Nothing!" The skinny bull may be due to nutritional deficits or genetics.

Bull will contribute at least 50% of your hybrid vigor and other genetics, conformation, temperament, etc., etc.

Remember...there is no free lunch....

Eric, we raise BeefmasterXCharolais, BeefmasterXAngus, and BeefmasterXCharolaisXAngus and then have some other cows that are predominantly angus or brangus (which are hard to beat too). Calving season is always interesting when a beefmaster is involved, but this is one reason i like them. BeefmasterXCharolais can be White, Gold, Paints, Gold WF, Red WF, you name it but mostly are white or gold with some white underneath. It is an excellent cross. if you would like to see some photos, lemme know.

yes Bill, this bull seems very underweight, especially compared to my beefmasters! I posted in another post about this neighbor who is raising holsteins, and they are very thin, but Dun seems to think that that's just the holstein look, especially compared to the beef cattle all around me, and I dont have any other holsteins around to compare them with! He is not milking them, and he got them from his brother in Arkansas, so he didnt have to pay for them, but it sounds like maybe he got the culls or something, and he got the bull from the same brother! The bull is in a small pen with a couple of the cows, as he is trying to somehow get into a beef breed from the mating of the holsteins/charolais combo, but I am not sure what he's gonna end up with!
Since I bought beefmaster cows, and they were bred to Black Angus bulls, I will probably keep that line going. The two calves that were just born are black and the other is very dark brn and turning more black every day.

While I certainly didnt mean to hi-jack this post, I would certainly like to see the pics of the beefmasterXcharolais cross Beefy!

What he will end up with is very large cattle that will alwasy look poor unless he really hammers the grain to them. I have a neighbor that has several of them and They sure don;t look like much of either beef or dairy. They look like just what they are, but BIG

dun

Some years ago several local people and a sale barn operator got together and started developing Holstein heifers for dairies. They'd buy the heifers a couple of days old and keep them until they were bred. The idea was that dairies would pay big bucks for bred heifers. Then milk subsidies took a hit and a lot of those Holstein heifers wound up as beef cattle in pastures around here. For several years it was a common occurrence to see Holstein cows in local commercial herds. But they just couldn't cut range conditions. They milk entirely too much to get bred back on grass. They raised wonderful calves...once.

We have a neighbour that has crossed his beautiful big framed (black)Angus cows with a good Charolais bull. The results are nice big framed females that have the colour of a Murray Grey. Sadly he has joined them back to an Angus. He should really have put them to another breed. I would love to see Brahman or South Devon over them, he would then have achieved a tremendous boost. he keeps Charolais Angus cross bulls to use,not a lot of sense in that. As a base the Charolais/Angus females look great.
Peoples choices and variety of cattle make our industry interesting.

It should be interesting to see a Charolais/Angus cow cross to Simbrah bulls

Colin Chevalley":3f32j695 said:
We have a neighbour that has crossed his beautiful big framed (black)Angus cows with a good Charolais bull. The results are nice big framed females that have the colour of a Murray Grey. Sadly he has joined them back to an Angus. He should really have put them to another breed. I would love to see Brahman or South Devon over them, he would then have achieved a tremendous boost. he keeps Charolais Angus cross bulls to use,not a lot of sense in that. As a base the Charolais/Angus females look great.
Peoples choices and variety of cattle make our industry interesting.

Latest posts