crossbreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Take a look at what if any improvements your cow herd needs, how you will market the calves and then see if the Limos will be a good choice or not.

do you have any reason to cross them, you're crossing two terminal breeds, will be better if you use any Continantal dual purpose breed and your Charolais cows. I have cross Simmental and Charolais (good cross)

> I am thinking of using a Limousin
> bull with my herd of Charolais
> cows.Any drawbacks to this idea?

[email protected]

Studies have shown that a feeder with 25 to 50% Continental (50 to 75% Britsh)blood will produce better effeciency and carcass than a straight Continental or a stright British. The least efficient performer was the 75% Continetal feeder.

Now it maybe in your interest to find out the strengths of your herd or in the breed as an average. As a rule Continentals have lower fat and higher REA than British breeds but lower marbling versus the british breeds. So you may want to find out if posible what your carcass merits are and find a bull that will give you a better carcass in your calves. And also where you want your frame score to be.

This applies to "quality grade", yield grade takes a completily different perspective.

dun

> Studies have shown that a feeder
> with 25 to 50% Continental (50 to
> 75% Britsh)blood will produce
> better effeciency and carcass than
> a straight Continental or a
> stright British. The least
> efficient performer was the 75%
> Continetal feeder.

> Now it maybe in your interest to
> find out the strengths of your
> herd or in the breed as an
> average. As a rule Continentals
> have lower fat and higher REA than
> British breeds but lower marbling
> versus the british breeds. So you
> may want to find out if posible
> what your carcass merits are and
> find a bull that will give you a
> better carcass in your calves. And
> also where you want your frame
> score to be.

QG,YG and feed conversion at the end are all weighed for the net profit. And granted the red meat is what makes the big value.

> This applies to "quality
> grade", yield grade takes a
> completily different perspective.

> dun

Latest posts