Crossbreeding with Limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a herd of fullblood Limousins and would like to crossbreed some with another breed. Any sugggestions? Successes?

the limousin association pushes crossing with angus.... maybe others too, but i know angus..

good luck

gene

> I have a herd of fullblood
> Limousins and would like to
> crossbreed some with another
> breed. Any sugggestions?
> Successes?

[email protected]

1-Simmental: I have this cross. 2-Normande or Tarentaise: will have this ones by fall 2003. Keeping all the females as replacements.

In both options you will add milk to your females. Simmental is a great cross Normande will give you more milk and better Marbling and Tarentaise in addition will give you benefits of Black pigmentation. <A HREF="http://www.Ankenmanranch.com" TARGET="_blank">www.Ankenmanranch.com</A> will have some info about the Limo-Tarentaise cross.

If you go with Angus that will be what many people will suggest, go with Red Angus, you will keep RED color, than you could try a three way cross with Simmies, Normandes, Tarentaise or even South Devon (don't have any experience with them) and you will still have RED and the best balance carcasses.

> Successes?

[email protected]

It depends on the part of the country you live in. We cross our limis with brahmans and register them with the brahmousin assn. You can also reg. with the limi assn. But because we want to market them as brahmousin and not limi crosses, we register with the brahmousin assn. They have a web site, it is <A HREF="http://www.brahmousin.org" TARGET="_blank">www.brahmousin.org</A> Take a look at the site and the cattle. They do well in the southern part of the US, but are also in Washington state and in Nebraska.

> Successes?

> Successes?

Some friends of mine have both registered Limousins and Gelbviehs. Several years ago they started crossing some Gelbviehs and Limi's and got some great females. While walking through their herd last year looking for some replacement females the ones that generally caught my eye first were these Gelbvieh/Limi cross cows.

The cows get the muscle expression of the Limi's and the milk of the Gelbviehs, and great growth from both breeds. Crossing these cows with a red or black angus bull would produce some excellent feeders.

I have tried crossbreeding limo with my domesticated Kedah-Kelantan cows. Its a Malaysian local breed. The result turned out to be quite okay especially in terms of body length, temperament and hardiness.

Latest posts