crossbreeding tx longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

CC Ranch------- Sorry you had bad experiences with a charolais bull. You can have potential problems with ANY breed. To be fair about charolais bulls though I repeat, my longhorns just dropped 2 bull calfs and if they weighed 50 lbs. I'd be surprised. I also have a 5 month old calf out of the same bull from a longhorn that looks like a freigh train already. Long horns are easy calfing and good mommas. Maybe I just got lucky and got a low birth weight bull. Thanks for listening.

CCRanch":2tau7val said:
Mike C--I probably run more bulls right now than you have ever bought in your life. I am just trying to help the guy out and let him know that there are potential problems with this breed. And I have experienced them. Sorry if I made your cry talking about your favorite breed, but I really don't care. Have you ever seen a Beefmaster calf kill a cow? Me neither. I have Brahma, Beefmaster, and Braford bulls and have no problems. Don't quote me unless you know what you are talking about.

You are trying to tell this guy that "YOU" had problems with this breed so that makes the whole breed suspect? I am saying there are potential problems in "ANY" breed.

Yes, I have seen problems with Beefmaster, Brahma, and even Angus and "I HAVE EXPERIENCED THEM" also.

Yea, I saw calving problems with chars back in the 60's and 70's. But it was mostly because the "WRONG" people bought the "WRONG" bulls to put on 800 lb. cows. Could you have been wrong too? Appears that way.

There are traits in some bloodlines of cattle you mention that are not very illustrious either, but I would never run down the whole breed because of a few.

I won't get into an inventory war here, cause quality counts a whole lot more to me than quantity.

But I bet I sold more semen than you did last year. ;-)

Latest posts