Crossbreeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

kiku_fs":3vf14qyn said:
kiku_fs-You want to know ONLY??!! Okay - here is AN answer!

You have a 50% -50% chance of '
bringing down upon yourself AND your herd the following incorrectly-genetically-selected colors:

1) black
2) white
3) grEy
4) grAy
5) black-ish
6) white-ish
7) whitishness
8) chalk
9) chalky
10) chalkiness
11) pearl
12) sort-of-pearlish
13) frosty-hoary
14) platinum-ey
15) eggshell
16) silver
17) silver-ey - sort of
18) clay
19) flour
20) dun-white - and - -others!

Now we consider the heterozygosity of "MIX-MASTER" black-and-white Genes and the mathematical and problematical possibilities of billions of genes combining romantically with billions of other genes, and, because Sunday Noon Dinner is almost on the table, I will bring this asinine exercise to a close with these words: DON'T GO THERE!

DOC HARRIS

ps - I almost forgot these:

476) Mouse
477) mousiness
478) grimy
479) dirty
480) smudgy
481) murky
482) fuliginous
483) smirched
and
484) besmirched

DOC HARRIS

also: somber and dreary!

kiku_fs-Please don't be surly and sullen. Just realize what so many of us are trying to tell you! If you are, indeed, attempting to help yourself and learn, take these well-meaning attempts that the Board members are giving you as sincere bits of assistance, and act upon them. If, on the other hand, you are just trying to be aggravating, don't expect any more efforts of genuine helpfulness. If you were to contact Breed Associations and Agricultural Colleges, and ask them those questions, you probably would not get the help that these good breeders have been attempting to give you. Appreciate the help that you have been given!

DOC HARRIS

kiku_fs":1b3uufja said:
DOC HARRIS":1b3uufja said:
kiku_fs-Please don't be surly and sullen. Just realize what so many of us are trying to tell you! If you are, indeed, attempting to help yourself and learn, take these well-meaning attempts that the Board members are giving you as sincere bits of assistance, and act upon them. If, on the other hand, you are just trying to be aggravating, don't expect any more efforts of genuine helpfulness. If you were to contact Breed Associations and Agricultural Colleges, and ask them those questions, you probably would not get the help that these good breeders have been attempting to give you. Appreciate the help that you have been given!

DOC HARRIS

Well, I haven't seen that many of those "well-meaning attempts" that you speck of. But I do appreciate the help. But we will do what we think will work for us.
That figures!

DOC HARRIS

Kiku: Are you trying to develop a new breed or are you trying to become the Leachman of the south developing composite bulls to sell to commercial cattlemen.

One reason that black cattle are so popular is that typically, except in certain cases like yours, the resulting cattle are black.

This is a very simple way to seek uniformity, which when buyers are purchasing cattle for feedlots, they are usually willing to pay more for. Now I said that this is a simple way, it is not necessarily a good way. :)

Because there is a lot more to uniformity than coat color, which is what Doc is trying to tell you.

Let's pretend for a moment that coat color is all that matters. You will not get uniformity from Using these crossbred bulls. You will get a variety of shades. Everyone that knows cattle knows this.

Could you let us know what your ultimate objective is? Are you raising cattle for the grassfed market like you indicated earlier?

Are you trying to raise and sell these bulls to others?

Are you planning to use them yourself?

From what I have gathered from your posts, you have spent the money for these two bulls that you now own and want to use them.

I don't know if you will respond to this, but if I was trying to raise cattle for the grass market, I would find a smaller framed more efficient on grass breed than charolais. So I would sell out, and buy some cattle that will work for whatever your plan is. Ask Springer about the Murray greys :) , or whoever but what people are trying to tell is that right now with what you have shown us, you have a tough row to hoe. :D

I hope this helps, and I hope you respond.

Boys if yall ain't figured it out this dog is not going to hunt.
Time to pee on the fire and call the dogs this hunt is over.
Can't help someone to that doesn't want it.

Caustic Burno":qngl6o0j said:

Yup. I tried. I'm done.

Caustic Burno":1b90q7y7 said:

I think that dog not only is not going to hunt it isn't going to get off the porch and get in the truck