Crossbred mutts!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Thought this might be interesting reading to some of us southern producers who are always taking so much guff about our cattle. Brahman Influenced Marketing Group had a sale in Crockett, Texas the last part of Jan. Prices are as follows:
300#-$1.59 400#$1.45 500#$ 1.26 600# $1.15 700# $1.08

I dont know how many animals sold. I sold some calves there last year and they had several thousand. I assume that they had no less. These are average prices for the weight classes with {mixed sexes }I assume. This report is from the Weekly Livestock Reporter.

I dont have the average prices from Kansas that week but I do have the following week. As follows:
300#$ 1.57 400# $1.58 500# $1.47 600#$1.24 700# $1.13

Keep in mind the prices for Kansas were steers only. I guess the buyers of these Brahman animals must not be aware that feeders dont want these type of animals!!! Or so we have been told, repeatedly by some on this board

Good research and great post, houstoncutter. Would be nice if we could provide some statistics on how efficiently those calves were raised also. The minimal cow death loss due to dystocia, the excellent vigor of the newborns. The ability of the brahman-blooded cows to utilized a wide variety of forage, ability to milk in all kinds of weather, no milk reduction due to heat. Calf survival to weaning due to the brahman-blooded cow's fierce protection of her calf from predators. etc, etc, etc,

Those are some really impressive prices for cattle. Cattle prices keep going up and up around here as well. Also, those TigerStripe F1 cows do milk very well. If I could, I would raise Tiger Stripe F1 cows to use for recips in my Embryo Program. :cboy:

They were also steers. And it was raining. I think people were going nuts. I was. It could have been the beer.

Scotty

Scotty, I have know doubt you sold the steers for the price you mentioned.I just wanted to bring a little attention to the fact that crossbred calves with some ear can do very well price wise. Some on this board think that all animals should be English cattle, and to do otherwise is foolish. Personally I think its foolish to have straight English cattle in deep southern climates. If your a seedstock producer it makes good sense to have English and European here, it gives us a choice in bulls, plus you may get some acclimation.
Its hard to be a Herfordxbrahman cross, GertxHerford, Beefmaster, Charbray, Brahmousin or a Brangus, for momma cows, then all you have to do is figure out what breed of bull you want to put on em. Gives you a lot of options. I will admit, that I think straight bred English or European cattle might look pretty out in the front pasture, but this aint Kansas. Those ladies with that ear get the job done, lol... they aint kept around for their looks

I don't think all animals should be English, just influenced heavely. Take your tigers and cross with Angus and you will make money.

Scotty

Latest posts