Crossbred Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I have decided that my first cows are going to be crossbred pairs. I first need to know what kind I should get for where I live. I live in oklahoma and we have really hot summers and really cold winters. I know some one that might be able to sell me some Angus, Braman, and Herford
crosses. I think that they are mainly angus though. I was am also open for offers if any one has any for sale near Oklahoma. Email me at [email protected] Thanks

Try some brangus cows. its hard to go wrong with brangus cows, just make sure you get sane ones.

kaneranch, i am not sure how far west you live in oklahoma----i am 60 miles from oklahoma in missuori and we get 100 degree days in the summer and below 0 nights in the winter. i am not sure how your weather differs from ours and if you have good grass or brushy grass. here, most any kind of cow will do pretty well as long as the cow doesnt have alot of ear-----meaning brahma, such as brangus or beefmaster etc. the beefmasters get big, but anything with alot of ear takes a huge discount at sale time for the calves. i would suggest a good cross of angus, hereford and if you have good grass, they could have a little dairy in them to give them extra milk. i would cross these cows with a charlois or black bull, the idea would be to get a black or yellow calf---stay away from red or pure white calves, the get discounted as much as eared calves.
right now, pairs are sky high. i sold pairs a few weeks ago that normally bring 700 dollars for 1200-1300 and that was with 2 week old calves. i cant imagine those cattle ever paying for themselves.
it is a dangerous time to pay that kind of money for pairs. I would suggest buying pairs with 400 lb calves that are bred back so you can sell the calf by august to get half your money back right away, or buy a thin, suckled down 2nd period cow for 600-700 dollars and get a calf in september with a smaller investment. Also, a thin second period cow will show you how much milk she was giving and you will know you have a good calf raiser.
dont be in such a hurry that you have to have pairs, that you pay a fortune and put yourself in a big hole in case of a drought or bad market conditions, they will both come someday---best of luck

kane, one more idea if you are far enough west or south that the grass isnt the best. i have had alot of real good cows that are longhorn or longhorn cross. you can buy them second period real cheap and get the ones that raise good calves. i bought a bunch last fall for 425-475 and cut their horns off and freshened them out and sold them for 850-900 each. buy them, cut the horns off about 2 inches from the head after frost, breed them to a good limosine or charlois bull----to give them bigger frame for feeder calves and those cows will eat all kinds of pasture and do real well in the heat and their calves will sell outstanding---a cheap way to get into the cattle business and sell some good calves. stay away from wild longhorns or the real light boned ones that dont give milk

i definitely would want some brahma crossed in out there to stand the ticks, heat & flies. i talked to some guys who crossed in santa-gertrudis. they said they always got less per lb, but always got a bigger check. claimed they grow better so there is more weight to sell & there are more live ones to sell at the end of the season. those crosses you mentioned sound good to me. i agree the prices these guys are paying is going to take a few years to pay back i have never payed over 820 for three year olds( last fall). also agree you can buy longhorns & breed to charolais & sell calves at 400lbs & make out alright

Some one told me that a Brahman cow doesn't hold up well in the cold. It gets to be below freezing and w/ a winshield it can get down to -20 or -30.
Does any one have any experiance with brahman mixes. I am also trading a horse that I would be selling for 1200 or less to a guy that is trading me for a 7 year old bred angus cow that is due in the fall. What is every ones input on this would you do it.

If you want crossbred cows, it's going to be hard to beat a black baldie, especially a super baldie. If you breed a Brangus to a Hereford, you have a super baldie that has just enough Brahma influence to have the superior heat tolerance, has hybrid vigor, and enough English genetics to take off the excessive ear and give it some cold tolerance. The Angus and Hereford part of the equation will balance out the meat quality as well.

I am raising registered Herefords in a commercial environment, and they are thriving. This is in the Tulsa area. Therefore I do not consider the Brahma influence imperative for Oklahoma. Good luck.

the cold in sw missouri will affect any brahma cross animal---brangus, etc unless the animal is young and in great shape and perfectly healthy----i have never had much luck with brangus holding their own in our winters with calves on them. we have alot of 90 degree plus days and sometimes a few 100 degree but nothing that the regular hereford, angus, charlois-limousin types can't handle. we havent had any summers where it was an advantage to have eared cattle. as for the trade, around here you can get a good 7 year old second period black cow---which would be a fall freshener for from 750-875, this wouldnt be a registered cow---just a good calf raiser, so that would be the gauge i would use in the value for the horse

kane, type in ( brahman cattle environmental adaptability) there are some straight brahmas raised just below me. there are some santa-gertrudis raised clear up in canada

Kaneranch:

I'd just look around and see what my neighbours are using - they have the experience for your area. What works for them will work for you.

That would be your best bet I figure. It will probably not pay to buck the local trends.

Locally here, Red Angus cow calf pairs went for 375 to 450 per pair at the sale last Monday night - I know, because my neighbour bought a bunch. Come to think of it he still has my stock trailer! :D

I suspect they would be a bit higher in your neck of the woods. 8)

Bez

Bez":25kpd1o4 said:
Kaneranch:

I'd just look around and see what my neighbours are using - they have the experience for your area. What works for them will work for you.

That would be your best bet I figure. It will probably not pay to buck the local trends.

Locally here, Red Angus cow calf pairs went for 375 to 450 per pair at the sale last Monday night - I know, because my neighbour bought a bunch. Come to think of it he still has my stock trailer! :D

I suspect they would be a bit higher in your neck of the woods. 8)

Bez

Too bad we can't bring them into the US. At those prices I'ld be willing to expand - again

dun

Brahman-cross cows make great moms and would do well in your area. They are heat tolerant and mine always grow a good winter coat. They will eat almost anything and do well on both improved and un-improved pasture. And if you put a good non-eared bull on them it will take away from that hit at the salebarn. The price difference in my brahman cross calves and my non brahman is very little. And my cross calves usually out weigh the others by 50-75lbs at weaning.

Theres a lot of differences in the term *Brahma Cross* cows...those can be anything from hardly any ear to 3quarter or more brahma. Not all brahma cross cows will work for you...for instance a half brahma crossbred cow will give you quarter eared calves if you breed them to a taurus bull...some of those will have enough hair to be okay...but some of them will be slick. You wont be happy with what slickhaired quarter eared calves will bring you in the plains market...they need to go to Arizona or Brawley or maybe south Texas to get there full value. Quarterblood mommas should be okay with a good haired continental or british bull...but no more than quarter in the cows...that will give you eighth eared calves....you want to be sure that your calves have plenty of hair and for sure no crest

Latest posts