Cross Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623":sx5b1wva said:
Wouldn't I gain more vigor using a continental breed?
Gelbvieh is continental.
I'm with TennesseeTuxedo. Angus is the most profitable way to go on that cross. Quality grade is driving our market and you'd be producing black calves that are three quarters english with a ton of heterosis. Plus you can keep heifers back from any cross in that system and have good cows.

I don't see where you have to give up quality to use Limi or Sim. If it was me I would run a Char bull on them and let the extra pounds take up the slack.

It would take a lot of pounds to make up the difference between black & any other color at the sale barns around here.

Thanks for the input folks

Red Bull Breeder":20s10dif said:
Just listen to Taurus, seems to know everthing and nothing at the same time. If you read enough of Taurus post you see vast cattle knowledge expressed nearly everyday on here.

But to my way of thinking you can't get a 3way cross out of GVxHer cow using a limflex or simangus bull. A balancer bull would give you a little bit of a 3way cross. Its not a problem to find purebred Homo black limi or simmi. A heavy muscled angus would work as well.
if you did read up some posts between me and RedBullBreeder and you can see him always put me down for no reason. He's a nice folk isn't it? Again please excuse us.

I agreed with use black limo and black simmental on them will give you nice calves and I expected simangus and limflex will give you same results anyways but the calves will be 1/2 continental 1/2 british instead of 3/4 continental 1/4 British.

I like what I'm reading when it comes to crossing the Angus with my Herf GV heifers. I think that's the way I'll go to start & see what results I end up with.

I'm going to pick up my foundation Hereford cows in Dec & will be AI'ing them in the late spring in order to calve. So I need to start doing some homework on a good maternal homo black GV bull. Anyone have any leads?

Also if I buy horned Hereford cows & breed them to a polled GV bull the calves will all be polled, right?

TennesseeTuxedo":2v7eznsx said:
Heck if you just want pounds why not try a Chianina bull?

I've got to keep all the calves black, plus Angus & Simmental are all the rage around these parts so like it or not I'm going to have to use one of those 2 as my terminal cross anyway. Personally I like colored cattle & if I had my way I'd probably have a field full of shorthorns.

You won't get any colored calves out of a black cow and a Chianina bull. There is homo black Chi bulls there and few full blooded Chi (white ones) also will give you black calves when they are crossed to a black breed.

I wish you a good luck and post pictures of the calves out of the cross on here.

Jabes0623":1masnbau said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1masnbau said:

I've got to keep all the calves black, plus Angus & Simmental are all the rage around these parts so like it or not I'm going to have to use one of those 2 as my terminal cross anyway. Personally I like colored cattle & if I had my way I'd probably have a field full of shorthorns.

I think you'll like either one. Load up on those nice heifers and put them back under a Black Gelbvieh Bull for market calves.

fitz

Jabes0623":cvsrhx54 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":cvsrhx54 said:

Looks like you answered your own question here

Jabes0623":3sqvd62y said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3sqvd62y said:

I had my way once.... Once...

ALACOWMAN":17kq39cb said:
Jabes0623":17kq39cb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":17kq39cb said:

I had my way once.... Once...

:lol: :lol: :lol: lucky you

AllForage":395rvnel said:
Jabes0623":395rvnel said:
TennesseeTuxedo":395rvnel said:

Looks like you answered your own question here

Yeah I have done my due diligence, I think, & I have a pretty good idea of what the market demands are in my area & what I'm going to have to do to meet those demands. However I'm the type of individual who doesn't like to be boxed into one way of thinking & I've found knowledge, particularly real world knowledge, is the best way to keep an open mind & ensure you look at every possible solution to a problem. That's what makes forums like these & the people who post on them so valuable IMO, places like these give us access to information & knowledge we couldn't otherwise gain.

Jabes0623":3vbusy6a said:
I like what I'm reading when it comes to crossing the Angus with my Herf GV heifers. I think that's the way I'll go to start & see what results I end up with.

I'm going to pick up my foundation Hereford cows in Dec & will be AI'ing them in the late spring in order to calve. So I need to start doing some homework on a good maternal homo black GV bull. Anyone have any leads?

Also if I buy horned Hereford cows & breed them to a polled GV bull the calves will all be polled, right?

You'll get all polled calves if you use a homo polled GV bull. A hetro polled will give you roughly half polled half horned.

go with homo black lim-flex and dont look back, if you want maxium muscle , go with the purebred limousin, you will not be disapointed with either

Latest posts