Cross legged walking cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MAXDAD

Reaction score
We have an older angus cow w/calf 1 1/2 months old and she has started walking with her front leggs crossed. She is eating fine and feeding the calf, but sometimes she will kneel on her front and put her but in the air so she can feed it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Maxdad

How old is she? Her joints might be hurting, like arthritis. Or she may have a pulled mescle, tendon or something. Do you hear any creaking or crackling when she walks?

She is defenetly creeks when she walks, not sure of here age but if it helps we call her grandma. I thought it might be old age and or arthritus and I think you just confermed that.

Thanks

If you can figure out a way to give her a little grain twice a day, throw a dozen aspirins in the grain both feedings. Try that for a copule of days and see if there is an improvement. Surprises me how aspirin can help when they have peculiar aches and pains.

MAXDAD":eibdgzay said:
We have an older angus cow w/calf 1 1/2 months old and she has started walking with her front leggs crossed. She is eating fine and feeding the calf, but sometimes she will kneel on her front and put her but in the air so she can feed it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Maxdad

Is she in poor body condition? May be the results of age and a long winter catching up with her. As someone suggested, your might give her better and more groceries for a while. Better be thinking about what her future holds, may be about decision time.

I have been giving her the asprin at least once a day since last week, there is some improvement but she also seems to be drooling more than she should. She was drooling a bit before but it seems to be worse now.

Latest posts