Cross Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

charangusman08

Reaction score
If I breed an angus cow to a hereford bull, would it be the same if I breed a hereford cow to a angus bull? I just used those two breeds as an example, would it be the same as doing it with any two breeds? Thanks.

yeah your end result no matter wich way you choose will be a F1 cross baldy with that senerio. caustic has talked though about how breeding brahma bull on hereford cows or hereford bull on brahma cows i believe is what it was that one or the other gave you a bigger birth wieght in the senerio with them to breeds.

In our area there are mostly black angus cattle. So I wanna try something different like hereford, charolais, limousin, or some others. I Dont knw much about galloways.

I heard people come up with all sorts of unproven reason which are more old wives tales than anything else. The only time I have ever seen a difference is with the use of Brahman cows rather than the other way around. Brahman cows have the ability to limit the size of their calves. Given that, the use of calving ease bulls is not such an important issue.
I would like to know how heritable that trait is if anyone knows. (Does the F1 heifer produced also have the same ability?)

Lon":2bgfgwwg said:
yeah your end result no matter which way you choose will be a F1 cross baldy with that scenario.

You will end up with a bigger calf if the the cow line is the better milking one.
You will end up with a cheaper calf if the cow line is less costly to purchase and feed.

Having crossed many Hereford and Santa Gertrudis over the years for the sole purpose of producing F1 Females, I found The Hereford bull bred to the Santa Gertrudis cow worked much better than the other way around. My theory for this is that on average the maternal traits I was looking for were much more consistant in the Santa Gertrudis breed than in the Hereford and finding a few Hereford bulls with good maternal traits was much easier than finding a larger group of Hereford cows with the consistant maternal traits. When I used Gert bulls on Hereford cows I got a lot more variation and more culls that did not make replacements. Just my 2 cents.

Stocker Steve":2e5qlx7d said:
Lon":2e5qlx7d said:
yeah your end result no matter which way you choose will be a F1 cross baldy with that scenario.

You will end up with a bigger calf if the the cow line is the better milking one.
You will end up with a cheaper calf if the cow line is less costly to purchase and feed.

yes that is true but you could have a high milking cow out of either breed in the question he asked as well as a rangy type cow out of either breed questioned so i believe that would fall more under the line for type of cow not breed of cow.

Latest posts