Cross breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Would like an opinion on Corriente cows bred to shorthorn bull. I am
looking for a small calf with good growth. I prefer a smaller cow...800 to
1100 lbs.

I'm not sure why you would use a Corriente for anything besides roping stock.. why don't you use a Corriente bull?

If you're trying to put meat on the calves for the auction barn, an ANGUS (Gosh.. I don't believe I just said that) might be a good solution. You'll get a solid color pattern and more meat on the calves.

Of course, a SIMMENTAL would be the best option, but you would be looking at much larger cows. :lol:

TheBullLady":bb08bvpa said:
If you're trying to put meat on the calves for the auction barn, an ANGUS (Gosh.. I don't believe I just said that) might be a good solution. You'll get a solid color pattern and more meat on the calves.
My reddish brown and white Longhorn just had a calf this morning and it was bred to a black angus bull. This calf has a solid red color pattern with no typical Longhorn color splotches. If this calf maintains this color pattern, grows like an angus, and is polled it should bring a decent price at the sale barn next spring if prices stay the same. This calf wasnt much bigger than my 50 pound black lab though.

steers27":37hlpiz4 said:
1100 lbs.
you could try a beefmaster bull but the cow would have trouble calving.try a charolais bull cause the calf will be small but will hit the ground growing and if a heifer she'll have plenty of milk for hers

Copenhagen & SHiner Bock":24czftpn said:
TheBullLady":24czftpn said:
My reddish brown and white Longhorn just had a calf this morning and it was bred to a black angus bull. This calf has a solid red color pattern with no typical Longhorn color splotches. If this calf maintains this color pattern, grows like an angus, and is polled it should bring a decent price at the sale barn next spring if prices stay the same. This calf wasnt much bigger than my 50 pound black lab though.

One more good reason to cross-bred Longhorns with other stock. We just leased out one of our bulls (a 3 yr old) to an area rancher with about 30 cows to service in that pasture---he was tired of pulling calves, etc.

Running Arrow Bill":81efmwz4 said:
Copenhagen & SHiner Bock":81efmwz4 said:
TheBullLady":81efmwz4 said:

One more good reason to cross-bred Longhorns with other stock. We just leased out one of our bulls (a 3 yr old) to an area rancher with about 30 cows to service in that pasture---he was tired of pulling calves, etc.

Just what is needed, more roping calves

dun

Hatcreekcattle --- did I read your suggestion correctly? You essentially said to avoid breeding the Corriente cow to a Beefmaster bull due to potential calving difficulties and instead breed her to a Charolais so as to get a small calf, and if the resulting calf is a heifer it will have plenty of milk for it's own progeny??

Not trying to pick a fight, so to speak, but that sure is contrary to "conventional wisdom", isn't it? Generally speaking, Charolais bulls are hard calvers, Corriente cows are smallish, and Charolais are not particularly known as a good milking/maternal breed --- right?

Welcome to the forum --- say hello to Woodrow and Newt for me.

dun":3ueab93s said:
Running Arrow Bill":3ueab93s said:
Copenhagen & SHiner Bock":3ueab93s said:
TheBullLady":3ueab93s said:

dun

Dun, let's not generalize that Longhorns mixed with anything else result in roping calves. That's about as rediculous as saying you don't have to trim excess fat away from Angus, Hereford, and the other English and Continental breeds that have been overly fattened at the feedlot.

People need to stop judging "modernday" Longhorns by watching the 1940's black and white cowboy and indian movies.

Hey! Couldn't resist! What goes around comes around...lol

Anonymous":2oqy9tcr said:
dun":2oqy9tcr said:
Running Arrow Bill":2oqy9tcr said:
Copenhagen & SHiner Bock":2oqy9tcr said:
TheBullLady":2oqy9tcr said:

One more good reason to cross-bred Longhorns with other stock. We just leased out one of our bulls (a 3 yr old) to an area rancher with abou
cows to service in that pasture---he was tired of pulling calves, etc.

dun

Dun, let's not generalize that Longhorns mixed with anything else result in roping calves. That's about as rediculous as saying you don't have to trim excess fat away from Angus, Hereford, and the other English and Continental breeds that have been overly fattened at the feedlot.

People need to stop judging "modernday" Longhorns by watching the 1940's black and white cowboy and indian movies.

I can't reasist. Why , if you have so much advice to give out why don't you registter and join the crowd.

la4angus":2igw8ncp said:
Anonymous":2igw8ncp said:
dun":2igw8ncp said:
Running Arrow Bill":2igw8ncp said:
Copenhagen & SHiner Bock":2igw8ncp said:
TheBullLady":2igw8ncp said:

One more good reason to cross-bred Longhorns with other stock. We just leased out one of our bulls (a 3 yr old) to an area rancher with abou
cows to service in that pasture---he was tired of pulling calves, etc.

dun

I can't reasist. Why , if you have so much advice to give out why don't you registter and join the crowd.

Here we go again... :roll:

I agree though.

steers27":is2yj1ig said:
1100 lbs.

longhorn hereford cross is a good fast growing calves

Latest posts