Cross Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Alacowman:
Oh believe me when I tell you that is just what most people did up here! Either a black bull, a red bull, a char bull, or a Sim. As I said the hereford breed is pretty well gone these days. They are yesterdays cattle.

Alberta farmer":3jqj8wfc said:
Alacowman:
Oh believe me when I tell you that is just what most people did up here! Either a black bull, a red bull, a char bull, or a Sim. As I said the hereford breed is pretty well gone these days. They are yesterdays cattle.
ive heard that before.. i believe they'll come back with a bang

I'm not a commercial breeder, but I think that unless the commercial breeder has a specific market for purebred animals, they'd be out of their mind not to crossbreed. Hybrid vigor, heterosis, whatever you want to call it is a proven phenomenon-the best of both breeds.

All of this is interesting but no mention of climate. First thing I need is cows that can sustain in the high temps here and keep on providing milk. The next thing is a market bull covering that cow.

Steers with ear take a bit of a hit.

Heifers or cows with ear fetch a premium.

Drought culling hurt the south tremendously. Most everyone is having to rebuild from within because the only thing available is cold climate breeds. That limits you to fall calving amongst other things.

I currently have a herd of registered Herefords and registered Angus and will soon begin a true crossbreeding system using a purebred homo polled/homo black Gelbvieh to produce solid black & black baldy calves. With this cross there should be some very good steers as well as F1 heifers. Should I retain any heifers they will probably be bred to a black balancer bull. Good luck with your crossbreeding and I too agree that crossbreeding without a plan does not pay off. Take Care

Latest posts