cross breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Red

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Any one have a breed or cross breed that they have been sucessful with? New idea: Limousin with Angus/Jersey Dam? To get a surdy breed for grass fed/organic beef. Anyone have an opinion?

You might get them to finish on grass but they;ld be a couple of years old by then. To finish on grass you need smaller framed more rapid growing animal.

dun

Red":3964t4bt said:
I was thinking about ccross breeding a Charolais bull with Limousin cows to get a surdy breed for grass fed/organic beef. Anyone have an opinion?

I have an opinion and you are not going to like it.

First I would start with a cross that is hardy and can acutally make it on grass. In my neck of the woods it would be an F-1 Braford or Brangus, put an Angus or Hereford bull on them and the calves should do well on grass fed only. Really hard core organics require that they are not fed fertilized hay, pastures cannot be fertilized with manufactured chemicals or spayed for weeds.

So unless you have some really rich bottom land it will be very difficult.

Red":38kpp6qu said:
I was thinking about ccross breeding a Charolais bull with Limousin cows to get a surdy breed for grass fed/organic beef. Anyone have an opinion?
it's ok but you could do it with straight Charolais or Limousin and it will take you almost till the steers be 24-30 months old, if you fed them with organic grain and no implants it should be at least 16 months

Latest posts