Cronic diarrhea in bottle baby

Help Support CattleToday:

wranch

Reaction score
We have a calf that was abandoned, so we don't know if he got any closterum milk. We cannot get him over diarrhea. He is about 2 months old now & has never lost his appetite. We have tried all kinds of drugs the vet gave us, even pepto bismal. Any home made remedies out there that might work? Thanks.

I have had luck with the electrolytes and probiotics. Also make sure they are sucking the milk and not gulping it down too fast. Try to get the calf to eat more grain and a little hay too.

Have you tried a bolus called substain 3 you give 1 every 72 hours, they worked great on ours after about 3 pills she was cured.

wranch":2i5vpnl8 said:
We have a calf that was abandoned, so we don't know if he got any closterum milk. We cannot get him over diarrhea. He is about 2 months old now & has never lost his appetite. We have tried all kinds of drugs the vet gave us, even pepto bismal. Any home made remedies out there that might work? Thanks.

Did the vet check for Coccidia or Cryptospordia or ??? He's at the right age for Coccidia.

What color is the scours? Does it smell bad? or just runny?

You might try "spectrum scour halt" for baby pigs if you think it is bacterial.

I also use homemade electrolites with a package of canning pectin added (to firm up the stool) that I leave out for them to drink during the day and night then still give them milk at regular feeding times. They are loosing fluid and can die of dehydration.

Are you feeding powdered replacer or fluid milk? If you are giving powdered replacer try adding a cup or so of fluid milk to it and see if that helps.

Latest posts