Critique us!

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Here are a couple of cows we pulled out of the paddock yesterday for a local show next week. They havent been fed up or anything, they also havent had a wash, and we've only given them a rough clip. Not the best photos either.

6 y.o cow Destiny, 4 w.o bull calf at foot Merlin

Murray_grey_photos_13-10-07_009.JPG

3 y.o cow Stardust, 4 w.o heifer calf at foot Paris

Murray_grey_photos_13-10-07_007.JPG

Fire away!

Beautiful examples of the breed!

It's hard to fault either. The first cow seems to be doing an excellent job on her calf, as is the second.

That second cow has a beautiful udder from what I can see. Which would just put her above the other cow for me, although I can't see as much of her udder.

Both great cows :)

Keren":herqqxle said:
Here are a couple of cows we pulled out of the paddock yesterday for a local show next week. They havent been fed up or anything, they also havent had a wash, and we've only given them a rough clip. Not the best photos either.

Fire away!

Both cow/calf sets look wonderful. the second cow seems to be more fit, for feeding the calf, but the first calf, looks better than the second.

Keren":22lj1ks5 said:

Fire away!

How come the cows have nose rings? Do they have to for the show?

4-H kid, the rings in the cow's noses are removable - "B-Line type" (not sure if you guys get them there).

Our rules state that all bulls over 8.5 months must be rung through the nose (ie. with a bull ring). All females and steers over 8.5 months must have a nose clip/dog/bug (the terminology varies). The animals must be led by these whenever they are not in their stalls, ie. exercising, washing, showing etc.

Do you usually just pull your show animals out of pasture before a show? You don't put them on feed ahead of time?

Keren":107ezir2 said:
4-H kid, the rings in the cow's noses are removable - "B-Line type" (not sure if you guys get them there).

Our rules state that all bulls over 8.5 months must be rung through the nose (ie. with a bull ring). All females and steers over 8.5 months must have a nose clip/dog/bug (the terminology varies). The animals must be led by these whenever they are not in their stalls, ie. exercising, washing, showing etc.

Ok. Yeah I know what they are...

TheBullLady":3gxfcm7i said:
Do you usually just pull your show animals out of pasture before a show? You don't put them on feed ahead of time?

Bull lady, we generally try not to pour the feed into our show team. Our herd as a whole is composed of pretty easy doing cattle, so they are generally in pretty good nick. We have been in drought for the last six years, so the herd as a whole gets hay and silage, but no grain. With animals that are already halterbroken (that is, were shown previously) like these cows, we usually leave them in the paddock with the rest of the herd and they just get hay. A couple of weeks before the show we will pen them up to get the green feed out of them. They get oaten hay ad lib, plus a bucket of oaten chaff and a scoop of horse mix to improve their hair.

The young ones that are being broken in tend to get a little more feed, because they are being worked with every day. They get a bucket of oaten chaff, a scoop of horse mix for their hair and a scoop of 15% heifer developer pellets. But once they are broken in it is back to the main herd.

The bulls we put on a little feed morning and night, but we are very careful not to stuff them, because IMHO that is the quickest way to ruin a good bull. Depending on the individual bull and his growth patterns, they will get oaten hay, oaten chaff (lots of it), heifer developer pellets, horse mix and a little barley.

For a one day show, such as the one these cows went to, we generally pull as many halter-broke animals out of the paddock as we can, to support the show.

So, hopefully I answered that question, in a round-about, long winded sort of way!

Latest posts