Critique this young Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Here's a bull for sale from a local seedstock producer. He was born 3/20/2007. He was 87 pounds at birth, pretty good epds. Will be putting him on some 1st calf black angus heifers. Asking price is $1500, which is about all we can afford at this time.

bull_side.JPG

bull_side_2.JPG

He's the one on the left in the picture below:
bull_rear.JPG

Here's a pic of one of the heifers before calving. They're out of Gardiner bulls and are a little light boned. They need some thicking for sure.
DSC_01361.JPG

They are raising some pretty nice calves, though
These are AI calves born 1st of Feb. The w/f calve is out of a reg herf cow.
calves_over.jpg

calves_rear.jpg

What's your opinion, would he work?

Looks pretty smooth shouldered, but I don't like the 87# BW. I agree with your choice of a Herf on the angus.

He's OK, not as masculine or muscular as I would have liked at 14 months.

I am sure there are thicker bulls out there for the same money

KNERSIE":ytn0kifc said:

Thanks for the comments.
I agree he's not a monster, but in person he had pretty good looking muscle expression relative to his size/age. From the rear he's not as wide as I'd like, but I guess I've not seen many herfs that are (unless they're in Denver show pics). Where would one search for others?

Arkieman":3kyiwiko said:
KNERSIE":3kyiwiko said:

Thanks for the comments.
I agree he's not a monster, but in person he had pretty good looking muscle expression relative to his size/age. From the rear he's not as wide as I'd like, but I guess I've not seen many herfs that are (unless they're in Denver show pics). Where would one search for others?

Pretty good analysis. I don't think he will "wow" you, but he won't hurt you either IMO. $1500 wouldn't touch a bull in my area.

He isnt bad what are his numbers?
Also pedigree, you can take a look back and see if there are any "problems" hiding in the wooed pile?
Overall I agree he will not hurt you and looks like he solves a problem or two that your heifers have.
For 1500 he is a good bull.
Yes you can find a deal out there, but I never find em when I am looking? :roll:

bandit80":1ymavxam said:
Arkieman":1ymavxam said:
KNERSIE":1ymavxam said:

Thanks for the comments.

Pretty good analysis. I don't think he will "wow" you, but he won't hurt you either IMO. $1500 wouldn't touch a bull in my area.

If I had any bull worth selling I would sell you one for 1500.00 But I dont.

If you drive to Oklahoma, you can find them at that price at least a couple of places, and they are good bulls, some of them will have all the rear that you could wish. I'll PM you more info. Having said that, I've seen worse by far, and I think he can help your heifers.

i think that bull will look alot better onces he matures.but right now he is lacking in the hipp area.but looks like most of his prob is because he is young.

Even if he grows up to look a lot better, he is way to feminine. Comes closer to looking like a cow with the wrong equipment.

I wouldn't spend $1500 for him, I don't think he will improve upon anything. There are plenty of people up here, myself included, that sell bulls for $1750-2000 that would do a lot more for you then him. Not saying he is a terrible bull, only saying you aren't getting a deal on him or anything. I think I would look around a little more.

You all kill me...
Add 250-500 plus travel and gas to another state?

That bull isnt a world beater, but he is cheap enough for what he is.
And he aint that bad.

Still interested in his bloodlines?

Thanks for all the comments, It's pretty apparent I have a case of the "wine taste on a beer budget" mentality!! I believe I agree w/ most of the comments - not bad, but not great either. Since we're in the "bulding" mode, it's probably best we go the AI route at this time, keeping the better heifers to build upon. Eventually, when the number of head is right, spend the money on a nice bull. Right now with 7 head, it's tough to justify the upfront cost of a good bull, plus the added year-round expenses. I really like the looks and the numbers on the SAF Connection bull.

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus.asp?CodTouro=237AN1777

Calving ease, decent growth, docility, efficient.

redfornow":vyj62qp0 said:
You all kill me...
Add 250-500 plus travel and gas to another state?

That bull isnt a world beater, but he is cheap enough for what he is.
And he aint that bad.

Still interested in his bloodlines?

Not sure on the names in the pedigree. We looked at it and he explained some of the traits. There was one bull in the pedigree that he mentioned as being "billed as" a calving ease bull, but turned out not to be. That's the reason he would not consider this bull to be a heifer bull.

Australian Cattleman":x9evyk01 said:
Looks like a steer to me.Wouldn't use him. Like a bull to look like a bull at any price. Need a bull to have good eye pigmentation and a decent dark colour. The bull must look like a sire,have a nice hooded eye and a broad head.

What's with the fascination all Australians seems to have with dark colour?

Herefords' shade of red can vary quite a bit and still be within the original breed standards. Two years ago there was a Australian judge who judged our national championships and he placed better bulls down the order because they were lighter coloured even though he has been told that darker colour shouldn't get preference in our judging system. He even commented that a certain bull probably would have won his class if he was darker red. I simply don't understand how a shade of the same colour can make a animal better than the other.

KNERSIE":uy2bt30e said:
Australian Cattleman":uy2bt30e said:
Looks like a steer to me.Wouldn't use him. Like a bull to look like a bull at any price. Need a bull to have good eye pigmentation and a decent dark colour. The bull must look like a sire,have a nice hooded eye and a broad head.

What's with the fascination all Australians seems to have with dark colour?

Herefords' shade of red can vary quite a bit and still be within the original breed standards. Two years ago there was a Australian judge who judged our national championships and he placed better bulls down the order because they were lighter coloured even though he has been told that darker colour shouldn't get preference in our judging system. He even commented that a certain bull probably would have won his class if he was darker red. I simply don't understand how a shade of the same colour can make a animal better than the other.

Don't know about other places, but round here I can either get more money and/or sell them easier/quicker if their a darker red color if every thing else is equal, that go for bulls and heifers.