Critique this Simmental bull

Help Support CattleToday:

lovecows

Reaction score
He's 17 months old here:

05_28_07_028_cropped.jpg

05_28_07_035_edited.jpg

I think he looks good in your photo. He's going to be a big rascal by the time he grows into himself.

fitz

Very nice bull. I think some more width and strength over his top (right behind is shoulders) that would carry down to his chest floor would be a good thing. His hip could also be leveler. You can make the case that a slight slope from hooks to pins is an advantage (and I'd agree with you) but I think he goes a tad over board. Still nice bull, do you have any pictures of his calves?

Good bull. Lots of good about him. I also don't like the rump shape, his tail head looks like it was an afterthought - doesn't blend in at all. But, that's being picky. Great pedigree.
Unless that pic was taken some time ago, he shouldn't have any calves on the ground - he is 17 months old.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19p2b4yu said:
Unless that pic was taken some time ago, he shouldn't have any calves on the ground - he is 17 months old.

Oops, didn't even see that, just went straight to the pictures! :lol:

I like him as well.. really meaty and deep bodied. What are you using him on? If you have some reds or Brahman influenced cows, you might get quite a few diluter calves. I got a bunch out of a Dream On bull.

BullLady - a BLACK bull has NOTHING to do with a diluted calf. You got that from the DAM. A true Black does not and cannot carry the diluter gene. If the bull was black factored, but was chocolate or grey, than YES he could be the cause of the diluted calves. If you had a black Dream On son, he could throw you reds or blacks, if he inherited the red gene from Dream On.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I was going through some pictures and found these from 2 years ago. Thought they looked good and wondered what ya'll thought. We sold this bull and he is doing a great job for his owners. Saw some of his calves and they looked real good. We have some full sib embryos to him and hope to get a heifer someday.

very nice bull nice round front end. deep, nice lower third on him. and pretty little head.
i'd like to have him on our simmis!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3hw77loi said:
BullLady - a BLACK bull has NOTHING to do with a diluted calf. You got that from the DAM. A true Black does not and cannot carry the diluter gene. If the bull was black factored, but was chocolate or grey, than YES he could be the cause of the diluted calves. If you had a black Dream On son, he could throw you reds or blacks, if he inherited the red gene from Dream On.
your right, i used a homozygous black simm on brahman and simbrah momas and got consistent black hides. ....i like this bull

he is 1 fine looking deep bodied bull.an he is nice an thick as well.an he has good stout legs on him.

Latest posts