Critique this Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

AAOK

Reaction score
O.K. I'm doing something I never, never do; show a picture of a Show Prospect before it's been fed, fit, & groomed. I'm pretty sure how this calf will fair on down the road, but am interested in your opinions based on the "rough" image. I couldn't get a rear shot, but she is plenty thick for a breeding heifer. She is a 3/4 Maine-Anjou, born 9/15/05. Today she weighs approx. 700lbs. She has been on feed for 45 days, and is consuming 25lbs./day of show ration.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/uploads/8 ... 0442_1.JPG

As you said, its hard to make an opinion without seeing the finished product. Although I will say, she shows a lot of potential. I would like to see more of her after you get her fitted. Good luck.

warpaint":358po5in said:
As you said, its hard to make an opinion without seeing the finished product. Although I will say, she shows a lot of potential. I would like to see more of her after you get her fitted. Good luck.

Paint is dead -on this time. She's got a truck load of potential - let's see her when she a little closer to the show.

Feminine, clean through the front end, good legs, and good neck. anything other than that in this picture would be assumptions or guesses. She does have a lot of potential, as the other 2 already said. Good luck with her.

Market heifer or breeding heifer? Hard to tell from this picture, but she might be little flat-ribbed, and lacking muscle in her quarter. Not long enough, and too short-fronted for a breeding prospect. Not enough thickness through her stifle, and a little too "leggy" for a market prospect. Just my 2 cents.

I agree 6M also I think she is a litle high flanked could use more depth could be the picture would like to see the final product as well

Pic disappeared again but I did see it earlier. I think that she is a decent prospect and although she's not fitted and everything in the picture, she does look a little high flanked and light muscled in her quarter. Again, I'd still like to see her all primped. :) Also, since you're planning on showing her, a little bit of hair working might improve her appearance in those areas.

Australian Cattleman":jc5r0yj9 said:
Can't get to see the picture. Where would you show a 3/4 grade heifer? All cattle here in Australia in registered classes have to be purebred. The only exceptions that I have seen has been at Dexter specific shows that allow percentage cattle to be exhibited.
Colin :)
Maines don't have to be 100% Maine to be registered. Chis are that way too all though they're much worse off.. the calf only has to be.. 1/8 Chi I believe it is to be registered. :shock: That's one thing I like about eared cattle.. gotta be 100% to call it what you wanna call it!

I think its disgraceful that a supposed pure breed is allowed to be watered down. If I was breeding Chianinas or Maine Anjou I wouldn't be buying any from the US. I ask what is the use of being a seedstock producer of these breeds in the US. the breeds cannot be maintained if purity isn't maintained. This probably accounts for the many problems Australian breeders had or have with some Angus,Hereford and Polled Hereford and also South Devon imported from the US. Calving problems used to be few or non existent in Hereford and Angus but this hasn't been the case in recent times.
My experience with Leachman genetics in the South Devons, they did nothing constructive for the breed here. Gave breeders poor doing ability,big calves and decreased milk. With so many lookalikes in that herd who would know what was in each of his breeds.
Colin

I've talked to a few folks who worked at Leachman's during AI season. Basically they said that they would just grab out of the tank and go. 50% of the time they got the breeds to match, but the other 50% of the time they ended up with all sorts of combinations.

Australian Cattleman":3p9dvbyj said:
I think its disgraceful that a supposed pure breed is allowed to be watered down. If I was breeding Chianinas or Maine Anjou I wouldn't be buying any from the US. I ask what is the use of being a seedstock producer of these breeds in the US. the breeds cannot be maintained if purity isn't maintained. This probably accounts for the many problems Australian breeders had or have with some Angus,Hereford and Polled Hereford and also South Devon imported from the US. Calving problems used to be few or non existent in Hereford and Angus but this hasn't been the case in recent times.
My experience with Leachman genetics in the South Devons, they did nothing constructive for the breed here. Gave breeders poor doing ability,big calves and decreased milk. With so many lookalikes in that herd who would know what was in each of his breeds.
Colin

I agree entirely with you, Colin.

Latest posts