Critique these pics?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear what others have to say. I know improvements need to be done and trying to go that way.
Would you consider any of these worthy replacements?

MVC-005F-2.jpg

Oct. calf
MVC-021F.jpg

rear view
MVC-012F.jpg

her momma, her first calf
MVC-016F-4.jpg

Jan. calf
MVC-009F-1.jpg

her momma, about 9 years old and always breeds back good
MVC-014F-1.jpg

4 or 5 year old wish I had a good pic of calf, only my 2nd calf from her but she has done good so far

I'm no expert, but I like the black heifer. Shes long and she looks like she has some depth.

tom4018":3gpwp9bn said:
Just wanted to hear what others have to say. I know improvements need to be done and trying to go that way.

MVC-005F-2.jpg

Oct. calf
MVC-021F.jpg

rear view
MVC-012F.jpg

MVC-016F-4.jpg

Jan. calf
MVC-009F-1.jpg

MVC-014F-1.jpg

4 or 5 year old wish I had a good pic of calf, only my 2nd calf from her but she has done good so far

tom4018":2em7pfvs said:

MVC-005F-2.jpg

Oct. calf
MVC-021F.jpg

rear view
MVC-012F.jpg

MVC-016F-4.jpg

Jan. calf
MVC-009F-1.jpg

MVC-014F-1.jpg

The black heifer looks good, the balck and red baldy are fine. But the black heifer's mother look like she has mange on her hocks and front feet (or the pic was taking badly and im wrong)
The tan calf is ok but doenst have a toned muscled leg, her mama has her back pelvic bones sticking out, that can cause calving problems.

I like the black heifer in the first picture and her momma.
I also like the #41 cow and her baldie calf. Wish we had a
side view of the calf.

tom - Folks can nitpick your calves to death, I own much worse, and have made money with some of the ugliest cows you'll see. I've also found that every heifer goes thru a gangley stage at some point. The ones that look great at weaning sometimes make you wonder why they didn't get a one-way ticket a few months later, and then wind up making gorgeous cows.

Without a good picture of the baldy, she would be my choice. Her mom looks to be my kind of cow.

cfpinz

cfpinz":11v6t0jq said:
tom - Folks can nitpick your calves to death, I own much worse, and have made money with some of the ugliest cows you'll see. I've also found that every heifer goes thru a gangley stage at some point. The ones that look great at weaning sometimes make you wonder why they didn't get a one-way ticket a few months later, and then wind up making gorgeous cows.

Without a good picture of the baldy, she would be my choice. Her mom looks to be my kind of cow.

cfpinz

We been thinking about keeping the baldy. The char x mother has been a good cow, she averages calving every 332 days and she has averaged 600 lb. calves at 192 days on the previous 6 calves.

tom4018":tkjgs73y said:
We been thinking about keeping the baldy. The char x mother has been a good cow, she averages calving every 332 days and she has averaged 600 lb. calves at 192 days on the previous 6 calves.

Keeping good records like you do will help in picking replacements more than all the crappy comments you will get from cyber space.
You are headed in the right direction.

hogzilla":2hji6cjf said:
I like the black heifer in the first picture and her momma.
I also like the #41 cow and her baldie calf. Wish we had a
side view of the calf.

Here are a couple more pics. First one is the baldy side view sucking. Then, the charx again. They're not the best pics I know.

MVC-010F-1.jpg

MVC-007F-1.jpg

certherfbeef":1f597y5l said:
Keeping good records like you do will help in picking replacements more than all the crappy comments you will get from cyber space.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! :nod:

cfpinz

cfpinz":29ttszei said:
certherfbeef":29ttszei said:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! :nod:

cfpinz

Yep pretty is as pretty does.

MD

After seeing the side view of the baldie calf and her momma
and reading the performance of the char x cow, it would be
hard for me not to keep all of them as replacements.

cowboyup216":2l6gndca said:
Daisy that is mud not mange. You might want to look again hun. I dont like any of them really. However, if I was going to keep one as a replacement it would be that first black heifer.

Oh it does look like mud, i made a mistake, sorry.

Latest posts