Critique these calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

I like both for feeder calves. Can't really tell if they're bull material at this stage, but at a glance, I would say to cut them. That doesn't mean I don't like them, because I do....I just think they are very good steer material. I also think those two momma cows did a very good job for their first shot at raising a calf.

Gators Rule":1qqp1wmg said:
I like both for feeder calves. Can't really tell if they're bull material at this stage, but at a glance, I would say to cut them. That doesn't mean I don't like them, because I do....I just think they are very good steer material. I also think those two momma cows did a very good job for their first shot at raising a calf.
Anything in particular you see that would cause you to steer them?

Here's a couple more to look at. Both of these are Gelbvieh sired and out of Balancer cows. The first one is 4 months old. The second is just over 3 months.

All are nice calves all but number 4 has more leather than I like and I would like to see a tighter sheath if using for a bull. The number 4 calf is cleaner fronted and tight sheathed. Very nice calves don't get me wrong I am just saying what I would change not that they are bad calves. I do the same with my own calves pick them apart, I haven't ever had one that I couldn't find something I would like to I prove.

Gizmom

gizmom":3giqlo5y said:
All are nice calves all but number 4 has more leather than I like and I would like to see a tighter sheath if using for a bull. The number 4 calf is cleaner fronted and tight sheathed. Very nice calves don't get me wrong I am just saying what I would change not that they are bad calves. I do the same with my own calves pick them apart, I haven't ever had one that I couldn't find something I would like to I prove.

Gizmom

I can understand concern for wanting a cleaner sheathed bull. I am certainly not being critical of your response just asking if the leather in front is detrimental in other ways other than eye appeal.
I had heard many comments over the years about cleaner fronts being desireable and know that most find the excess leather undesireable. It seems to me that brahman and brahman cross cattle tend to have that and it is relative to them having loose skin which presumably aids in ability to shake off insect pests and heat tolerance. I have also noticed that Gelvieh and their crosses tend to have some leather up front may or may not serve a purpose. Maybe I am wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I have never been real concerned about selecting bulls that were real clean made as far as dew lap area. Does that make for less feminine looking daughters?

I don't think it is detrimental but for me I don't mind a little leather but when you get to much you end up with heifers that look like bulls. It is more about personal preference, like I said the calves are good but when asked to critique I will give my honest opinion. It is just that one persons opinion, doesn't mean it's correct. I still say nice calves.

Gizmom

gizmom":2g8ir0d9 said:
I don't think it is detrimental but for me I don't mind a little leather but when you get to much you end up with heifers that look like bulls. It is more about personal preference, like I said the calves are good but when asked to critique I will give my honest opinion. It is just that one persons opinion, doesn't mean it's correct. I still say nice calves.

Gizmom
Thanks to all who have given their opinions on the calves. I like to hear what other people think about the cattle. I have my own criticism of the calves, but it's a learning tool to me to get others input. It's ok for people to tell their dislikes, I like to know the why's behind them also.

They are all good growthy calves.
IMO, they are all lacking enough muscling in rear quarters going down into the rear leg. #2 & #3 are also pinched in the heart girth. #3 is probably the lightest muscled in rear quarters.
I also do not like the heavy leather, but that is a "look" thing.
As said, great steers, not bull quality "IMO". - and this is based on 1 picture of each. Calling what I SEE.

Gelbvieh are much like Fleckvieh in that if the calves (both male and female) don't have a bit of leather at this age they won't amount to much when they get older. There is a line you don't want to cross, where you get to much but once they calve for the first time the leather disappears and they become more feminine. The bulls just grow into it. I have raised Fleckvieh genetics for 30 years.

Also, I never cut calves at this age. That 5-6 month age is the awkward stage and you really don't know what you got yet.

southernultrablack":o205vl63 said:
Too much leather, not enough muscles :cboy:

gaurus":z3bxwr3y said:
southernultrablack":z3bxwr3y said:
Too much leather, not enough muscles :cboy:

I would say for sure cut 8 if you haven't already. Not enough bull in him to keep him and you can't eat the extra skin.

That calf #10 is looking much more like a bull so that depends on where you want to go with your heard. Good depth, thickness and tighter undercarriage. The neck flap makes no difference to me since he is looking better muscled than the other calf. He may be finer boned than I like my bulls since they need the bone to last in the herd.

Keep the best and eat the rest :cboy:

Latest posts