Crimson Clover?

Help Support CattleToday:

This field was overseeded in clover about 4 years ago. Unfortunately I'm fixing to have to wipe the clover out with herbicide to eradicate a weed. But such is life.
Is this crimson? If so why can't you just wait till it dies out this summer.

Douglas":2y8mirsa said:
This field was overseeded in clover about 4 years ago. Unfortunately I'm fixing to have to wipe the clover out with herbicide to eradicate a weed. But such is life.
Is this crimson? If so why can't you just wait till it dies out this summer.

The field has sandspurs in it and the only practical way to rid the field of them and not hurt the bermuda is to spray it when the bermuda is dormant. I've listened to the "experts" only to see the problem spread, now I'll have a go at it myself.

Jogeephus, looks real nice.

How much is your bermuda set back by having that thick Crimson? I guess you prolly graze it down pretty hard once you put the cows back on after seed set. What kind of timeframes/stocking rates do you aim for in that regard?

Tough question and I guess it depends on how you look at it. I'm sure it interferes with bermuda growth to some extent cause there is some overlap but my main concern is filling grazing gaps so any reduction in bermuda performance is trumped by the clover filling some of this gap. But if I consider the frequency of hay cuttings in these bermuda/clover fields versus straight bermuda fields I still have to cut them with the same frequency.

edit: to try and answer the latter question, clover looks like a lot of feed but its mostly fluff. I could have this field grazed clean in 2 weeks with about a 3:1 stocking using pairs.

I've always heard grazing was the best way to get rid of sandspurs, but we've never had much problem with them.

gberry":jilh5q02 said:
I've always heard grazing was the best way to get rid of sandspurs, but we've never had much problem with them.

Never dealt with it before so this is a new one on me. I was told the same. Also told that if you fertilize regularly then the other grasses will outcompete it. Also told that it does not like nitrogen and that it grows best in the absence of nitrogen. Based on all this I have to assume that I'm dealing with a hybrid sandspur cause the little tiny hill that I was to neglectful to spot spray has grown into a large spot with new clusters throughout the field. I'm tired of picking the burs off my jeans and I'm scared it will spread elsewhere so this year I'm going to take it out and the clover will just be collateral damage for the greater good. :lol2:

I don't know what the nutritional value is but I just gave up and bale it. Cows don't seem to mind near as much as me.
I talked to may people about how to get rid of it. Everything you mentioned was said not to work. MSMN will work but then you are putting arsenic in you pasture. You can burn the seed off every fall but the seed bank is said to last a long long time. Everybody I talked to said about the only thing that can be done at this time was to keep your good grass healthy. The people at TAMU said they have been working on it for may years now.

Two herbicides came out last year. Prowl as a pre-emerge and Pastora as a post emerge product. You might also try spot treating the sand bur areas with 1 pt/acre rate of glyphosate (RoundUp, Eraser, etc) when you see them up and growing. It will burn your bermuda but not kill it as it takes 5 qts/acre to kill bermuda.