crimson clover

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My crimson clover is about fully matured now and I intend on fertilizing after that cutting. My questions are should I have fertilized before it matured or should I just fertilize before the next cutting which is primarily bermuda? Also how much well does the clover help your nitrogen percentages?

[email protected]

> My crimson clover is about fully
> matured now and I intend on
> fertilizing after that cutting. My
> questions are should I have
> fertilized before it matured or
> should I just fertilize before the
> next cutting which is primarily
> bermuda? Also how much well does
> the clover help your nitrogen
> percentages? If your clover stand is thick enough you may not need much nitrogen you might get from 30 to 50 lbs depending how the clover was.

[email protected]

The clover will help your nitrogen requirments but the clover will NOT like nitrogen applied for its use.

My ten years experience managing Crimson clover told me that it is best to fertilize the clover with something like 0-22-22 in the fall or beginning of the growing season to meet your soils requirments for P & K.

I always clipped my mature clover just at the heigh of the seed flowers and that seeded the pasture again for next year. The bermuda grass was not hurt by the clipping because you clip it long. By managing the clover in this manner I always had clover without reseeding.

Some clovers are very aggressive and one uses nitrogen to setback clover to allow other grasses to compete.

[email protected]