crimson clover questions.

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
I've got seed, my first go with clover. Fields have been chiseled , fertilized to soil test for oats. And disc in.I'm drilling oats at 125 per acre. I've got several options to plant the clover. Broadcast with whirlybird before, drilling oats. Mixing with oats and drilling. This would put the clover seed about 11/2 inches deep. I have one drill with a small grass seedbox. No tubes just drop seeds ahead of colters. Can plant with grain box at same time.
I'm leaning towards this.
Last option would be to just drill oats,and wait until November to broadcast clover, letting the cattle work it in
I'm also going to ask about seeding rates for clover with heavy seeding of oats. There should also be a good stand of volunteer ryegrass.
No clover chart on drill. Use alfalfa chart?
Thanks

if it was me i would broadcast the clover in after you drill in the oats.because you only plant like 5lbs of clover to the ac.

I personally broadcast almost everything.. I don't think you can go wrong for broadcasting before or after drilling long as they get good contact with the soil.

bigbull338":7wimp01d said:
if it was me i would broadcast the clover in after you drill in the oats.because you only plant like 5lbs of clover to the ac.

125# oats 5# clover mixed together , Yall are making it a whole lot more complicated than it has to be. If you use the spreader your still going to have to cut the clover with something to get it spread. K I S S

M-5":3083dh9d said:
bigbull338":3083dh9d said:

125# oats 5# clover mixed together , Yall are making it a whole lot more complicated than it has to be. If you use the spreader your still going to have to cut the clover with something to get it spread. K I S S
With a small seed box you don;t have to thin out ther seed, you just set it for the appropriate lbs per acre.
On the Haybuster 107 you use the same settings as for alfalfa.

I understand 125 of oats, 5 of clover. Maybe open it up one click( probably not necessary)
My question on this is, is a 11/2 ,to deep for clover. I can run oats through the grain.drill, and clover through the seed box at the same time..the oats will be getting drilled. The clover is dropped ahead and receives what amounts to a very light disc from the drill.

One thing a good way to fail here is to leave it on top. Even with ryegrass. You just can't count on rains consistently to keep surface moisture.

fenceman":ytkogv6i said:
I understand 125 of oats, 5 of clover. Maybe open it up one click( probably not necessary)
My question on this is, is a 11/2 ,to deep for clover. I can run oats through the grain.drill, and clover through the seed box at the same time..the oats will be getting drilled. The clover is dropped ahead and receives what amounts to a very light disc from the drill.

One thing a good way to fail here is to leave it on top. Even with ryegrass. You just can't count on rains consistently to keep surface moisture.

IMO 1.5" Is too deep for clover.. I like the 3pt spreader so I spread mostly all of my stuff in one and throw the seeding rate out the window... waste of money probably but that's the way I like to do it. I then lightly disc over the spread seeds.

An inch and 1/2 is way too deep for clover. 1/4 to 1/2 inch at most. Drag something behind the broadcast to rake a little dirt over it. something as simple a section of chain link fence.

If your drill has press wheels, just dribbling the clover pout of thee small bax wihtout going through the drop tube will work. If it doesn;t have press wheels I would drag something behind. When I drill and do clover or turnips at the same time as grass or WW that's how I do it.

FM, when I did my CC last year, I disked, then broadcast the crimson, then just drug over it to cover with some old chain link fence.
I didn't disk very deep--clay ground was harder than a hooker's heart, but was really surprised how good it came up, and was hoping it would be able to set some hard seed. Unfortunately, the deer found it first.
I did oats and wheat the same way--oats did good--wheat not so much.

fenceman":2k88bh6q said:
I've got seed, my first go with clover. Fields have been chiseled , fertilized to soil test for oats. And disc in.I'm drilling oats at 125 per acre. I've got several options to plant the clover. Broadcast with whirlybird before, drilling oats. Mixing with oats and drilling. This would put the clover seed about 11/2 inches deep. I have one drill with a small grass seedbox. No tubes just drop seeds ahead of colters. Can plant with grain box at same time.
I'm leaning towards this.
Last option would be to just drill oats,and wait until November to broadcast clover, letting the cattle work it in
I'm also going to ask about seeding rates for clover with heavy seeding of oats. There should also be a good stand of volunteer ryegrass.
No clover chart on drill. Use alfalfa chart?
Thanks
Recommended seeding rate for a combination of oats and crimson is 60-90 lbs of oats and 20-30 lbs of crimson.

I had 50 pounds of seed I bought from a local feed store(all the had) to me it was obviously inoculated. I drilled it with oats in my dad's hunting plot.
I ordered 250 pounds from a different source(half the price) they said it was inoculated, I don't think so. How big a deal is it? Maybe easier to inoculate myself than send it back? Here's a pic of both seed.

Looks inoculated to me. To be sure put it in a glass of water over night and agitate it in the morning. If it's inoculated there will be lose stuff in the water that isn;t the seed.

The coated seed is inoculated. The bare seed is not. There is an inoculate that can be bought to do the seed. It looks like soot. Just dump your seed in a tub and mix the inoculate with a sugary drink like dr pepper and pour in the tub and stir it into the seed. The sugar in the drink makes the seed sticky and the inoculate will stick to the seed better. Do you have a small concrete mixer if so just mix the seeds in it.

I did my over seeding my crimson is the white seeds

ResizedImage_1442118855427_zpscf803290.jpg

Broadcasted
ResizedImage_1442118855990_zps15204959.jpg

hurleyjd":yahbdjv5 said:
The coated seed is inoculated. The bare seed is not. There is an inoculate that can be bought to do the seed. It looks like soot. Just dump your seed in a tub and mix the inoculate with a sugary drink like dr pepper and pour in the tub and stir it into the seed. The sugar in the drink makes the seed sticky and the inoculate will stick to the seed better. Do you have a small concrete mixer if so just mix the seeds in it.

The gold seed was not inoculated. Had to order the inoculate. Nobody around here knows much about. What I have looks like soot, is labeled for alfalfa, and red clover. Gives directions for using water.
I have a mixer.
I ask seriously Dr.pepper?

Latest posts