CRICKETS!!

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
OMG~~it's starting! Cricket season-- the Grackels in the parking lot had eatten so many they were standing there with crickets crawling over their toes. Soon it'll look like something out of a horror movie,with crickets covering the walls..those things stink too.........

I think I'd rather have the crickets than the grasshoppers we have. Crickets sort of hide out during the day. If these grasshoppers live to grow up I think they will do more damage than army worms.

Is it sacrilege to kind of wish for army worms so when you spra them you can get the grasshoppers too?

1982vett":119uyn54 said:
Is it sacrilege to kind of wish for army worms so when you spra them you can get the grasshoppers too?

yes by golly vett, I do believe it is BAD BAD BAD to wish for another plague to go along with the one ya got!! :shock: :secret: tsk tsk anyway! :lol:

LazyARanch":16meoho1 said:
1982vett":16meoho1 said:

yes by golly vett, I do believe it is BAD BAD BAD to wish for another plague to go along with the one ya got!! :shock: :secret: tsk tsk anyway! :lol:
Not often you get to line up a shot to get two vermin with one shot. Thought it might be lucky to do so. :lol2: Since we had them army worms back in July, I'm willing to bet we will still get a shot at two for one. I'd rather the grasshoppers just disappear but while I was disking yesterday, I noticed that it wasn't just grasshoppers jumping out of the way. Their were plenty of brown moths in the mix.

LazyARanch":1wwszuip said:
1982vett":1wwszuip said:

Isn't that how the plague started ?

London especially was over ridden with cats so there was a mass cull (slaughter) on cats and you got payed for each carcass you brought in. Then the city was over run with rats carrying the plague.. They even had people who job descriptions were cat killers..

Or am I thinking of a Steven King novel.. :lol2:

I will have to do some research.

Peg we don't have crickets in our area, too cold; but I do remember visiting my aunt and uncle in Singapore and they had Chit Chats in there homes that ate all the bugs. They stunk too, but the saying was "a home without Chit Chats is a home without love". Maybe that is the same for crickets. ;-) I do love the sound the crickets make at night though :) .

1982vett":101ya9mw said:
LazyARanch":101ya9mw said:
1982vett":101ya9mw said:

Not often you get to line up a shot to get two vermin with one shot. Thought it might be lucky to do so. :lol2: Since we had them army worms back in July, I'm willing to bet we will still get a shot at two for one. I'd rather the grasshoppers just disappear but while I was disking yesterday, I noticed that it wasn't just grasshoppers jumping out of the way. Their were plenty of brown moths in the mix.
Never had a grasshoppper problem.
Had army worms once. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

As to crickets, at least they are good for fish bait. :nod: If you can get around well enough, catch them, package them and sell to fishermen or bait shops.
Trying to catch them will occupy you for some time.

I think I might have got this backwards, sounds like the cats were culled because of the plague..

The black death is caused by a gram-negative coccobacillus called Yersinia pestis, which actually has a few family members that can be fairly nasty also, such as Yersinia enterocolitica and Yersinia pseudotuberculosis. Like a large number of highly infectious diseases plague is an example of a zoonosis or a disease that is spread from animals to humans, in this case originating from fleas that live on rats. When the rat population becomes low, or the animals are predated on by the likes of cats, the fleas are forced to vacate home and find a new host. Very often, this host happens to be a nearby human and the bacteria are transmitted into the unfortunate person through the fleas bite.

When I was in college we had them so bad one year that when we were sitting in the stands at a game, the crickets covered the field and the football players were just sliding through them and all the players were just covered in cricket guts. They were getting in the instruments, inside the band uniforms, in your hair... You couldn't get away from it.

Peg, you could get a bunch of chickens and let 'em run loose. They'd catch a heap 'o crickets. Of course chickens aren't known for having good bathroom manners, so that might pose another problem.

When I was home and had chickens,I kept a light in the chickenhouse to draw in insects for the hens to eat.Cut down on predators
and the feed bill :lol2: When it was cricket season the hens would eat so many they'd sit there and watch others bugs crawl around.. :D

Latest posts