Creep ration for young calves

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Due to the drought I am considering creep feeding in order not to stunt very good genetics. The calves are about 6 weeks old right now.

Any suggestions on creep rations for calves this young? My cattle are not grained at all so calves aren't used to run up when they see me. I need a very palatable ration to get them started without risking digestive upsets in the young calves.

I have a little aflfalfa hay left, corn can be bought, but is expensive, no other small grains except wheat midlings is still to be found anywhere close. How should the corn ideally be processed for calves this young?

Any one with experience?

knersie-
although i have no personal experience feeding the grain - is mahangu grown in your area? i was thinking that it was as much a staple crop to Africa as corn is to the U.S. with the protein content it provides, and little expense required for production, i was thinking of trying it myself. i will definately be providing more of it next year for grazing - calves are doing excellent with the small patch i put out this year.

ROB

ROB":12te1730 said:
knersie-
although i have no personal experience feeding the grain - is mahangu grown in your area? i was thinking that it was as much a staple crop to Africa as corn is to the U.S. with the protein content it provides, and little expense required for production, i was thinking of trying it myself. i will definately be providing more of it next year for grazing - calves are doing excellent with the small patch i put out this year.

ROB
I never herd of Mahangu so I googled it up. Says it is the same as Pearl millet. Is this what you are talking about?

novatech":xicj3a2c said:
I never herd of Mahangu so I googled it up. Says it is the same as Pearl millet. Is this what you are talking about?

yes. i had never heard of Mahangu either until reading up on Pearl Millet awhile back. so i thought that possibly knersie might not be as familiar with the term pearl millet as he might be with mahangu.

ROB

ROB":svxjauzj said:
novatech":svxjauzj said:

yes. i had never heard of Mahangu either until reading up on Pearl Millet awhile back. so i thought that possibly knersie might not be as familiar with the term pearl millet as he might be with mahangu.

ROB

I am actually more familiar with pearl millet than mahangu, there is also another less pc term as well that I'm even more familiar with.

Corn is much more of a staple feed in Southern Africa than mahangu, mahangu is more used for brewing traditional beer by the tribes than its used for food.

Used to plant that for summer grazing under irrigation, but it seems that it doesn't fare well on the same srea year after year. We've had good rain the last two days, but its now the middle of winter and its snowing on the higher areas right now. It will still be a tough month or so lying ahead.

KNERSIE":3i5lyum1 said:
mahangu is more used for brewing traditional beer by the tribes than its used for food.

now that's interesting. maybe a new market niche' for us in the States. ever heard of Samuel Adams? they have a wide array of beer flavors. maybe they'd be interested in a tribal flavor :drink:

ROB

ROB":2x4iwbrp said:
KNERSIE":2x4iwbrp said:
mahangu is more used for brewing traditional beer by the tribes than its used for food.

now that's interesting. maybe a new market niche' for us in the States. ever heard of Samuel Adams? they have a wide array of beer flavors. maybe they'd be interested in a tribal flavor :drink:

ROB

A very well thought out response....I concur. :nod: :nod:

Make the mahangu beer. It takes about three and a half day. Then separate the grain and feed it to the herefords! :banana:

I think the corn should be cracked or coarsely ground , I grind through a 1/2 inch screen , I use corn oats and barley plus some soybean meal as a creep feed . If you can get molases that would help make it more palatable and they might like it better if they're not used to grain.