Creep or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, my showcow had her calf and the calf is 2 months old, growing very well. I have heard some people say to creep feed 6 weeks before weaning or some people just say to leave the calf w/ out, and just have him/her on mommy and milk, that should how many pounds momma can put on baby from just milk. What are some of everyone's opinion?Thanks

[email protected]

The calf gets almost all of his/her nutrients from momma's milk. Adding grain to their diet helps them gain, but keep in mind that it won't be putting on as much pounds as milk will be.

The reason fot creeping them before weaning is to get them used to feeding from a device rather then mom or pasture. This way, when they are weaned they don't have the set back that can occur when they are under stress from weaning

dunmovin farms

> Hi, my showcow had her calf and
> the calf is 2 months old, growing
> very well. I have heard some
> people say to creep feed 6 weeks
> before weaning or some people just
> say to leave the calf w/ out, and
> just have him/her on mommy and
> milk, that should how many pounds
> momma can put on baby from just
> milk. What are some of everyone's
> opinion?Thanks

Creep feeding is a management decision. To lesson the stress of weaning, you can creep feed your calves a few weeks prior to weaning. If your cows are getting thin because of poor pasture, you can help keep the calves gaining well, by creep feeding OR simply wean calves early. GENERALLY, if you have decent pasture & good milking cows, calves do not need grain, unless you are showing them at a very young age. If you creep feed, it makes it difficult to compare the milking ability of one cow to another cow. Jeanne

Simme VAlley in NY
[email protected]

I have been creep feeding for years because of the added pounds on my calves @ weaning and less stress on the calf @ weaning time. If you're showing is a definite advantage to get your calves off to a quick start. If just selling the calves off as weaners then a lot of calf buyers don't want calves that have been creep fed hard. Do what your program is geared for. Good luck.

[email protected]

Latest posts