Creep Grazing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
I would like to try it this summer. Are you guys doing this and what has worked for you. Gate or higher fence? What do you grow, sudan, millet etc.? I am thinking about cowpeas near watering area.

Doing it now with oats. Electric fence at 36 inches(higher if calves are big). Cows get a couple hours every other day. Calves learned quickly how to slip under the wire. One problem that could occur is that they have learned to slip under fences. Don't have any figures but it can't hurt to give them special access to good forages at any time.

I tried that one time a few years ago. One thing it will do for sure is the fence crawling problem. Calves learn as they grow up how to deal with fences, i.e., stick your head under and go for it. Electric fences don't seem to bother them at all. I never could figure out if they weren't getting shocked, or just didn't care. As they get bigger and stronger, they also figure out that the same method will work for gates and corral panels, too.

I'll never do it again. But, that's just me......... :dunce:

yes, I do it all the time usually in conjunction with strip grazing. I have done the same thing with creep feed setting up a small area with the fence up about chest high or a little lower so the calves go underneath.

Jim62":2lldqqzh said:
I tried that one time a few years ago. One thing it will do for sure is the fence crawling problem. Calves learn as they grow up how to deal with fences, i.e., stick your head under and go for it. Electric fences don't seem to bother them at all. I never could figure out if they weren't getting shocked, or just didn't care. As they get bigger and stronger, they also figure out that the same method will work for gates and corral panels, too.

I'll never do it again. But, that's just me......... :dunce:

I've got one momma cow that was trained at the limbo institute apparently. No matter how low you put the creep bar, she is going to squeeze her way under it!

Douglas":1sttna3r said:
I would like to try it this summer. Are you guys doing this and what has worked for you. Gate or higher fence? What do you grow, sudan, millet etc.? I am thinking about cowpeas near watering area.
we use millet with one strand of temp electric fence and the calves go under it to work on the next block, although gate would work as well

Latest posts