creep gate/panel for creep feeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Anyone use anything like this gate for creep feeding or letting calves into barn, etc.

http://www.ruralking.com/tarter-8-c...XuB00FD09FVANzOi4NQ-rnUBKExN2HNXeGBoCIBvw_wcB

I was thinking of use a creep panel like this one, and two normal gates/panels and hand feeding four calves from Dec.-Feb. calving. I don't want to buy a cheap 700-900 set up, I'd rather creep feed this way until I can better justify buying a good solid creep feeder down the road. Any ideas or experiences? Will this work for a small operation like us that is slowly growing over time.

Thanks in advance

What I used for years. Couple posts and board work to for a lot less than that gate too. Cheap feed creep should pay well this year!

I have an old one that is very similar. But I go with the posts and a board or pipe across it to limit the height of the calves that can get in when I need to set something up for just calves.

Till-Hill":2vl9y4xm said:
Couple posts and board work to for a lot less than that gate too.

I agree. I've just nailed together 2x4's to make a frame large enough for the calves to get through, but too small for the cows. Open a gate far enough to tie this frame in the opening.

I tried a board 2x8 nailed to my barn posts at height of my creep feeder worked well until a big greedy cow came along and put her head under and lifted up and pulled those 16d 3.5 inch nails out. I then fixed her by putting 4 lag bolts 8 inches long to hold the board it worked well after that until I got another feeder for the calves.

For a temporary set up, I just turned an old bow gate sideways. Though in the first picture I had added some wood to the top, the big cows would still squat to go under it. So in the second picture, I had to narrow the opening instead.
I do like the panels that you posted. I guess it just depends on what you have on hand. This was quick and easy for me. I had got this idea from another poster here. :D
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20141229_160518_zpsf00b7a0f.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.co...ads/IMG_20150112_092831_zps8c1ad0f0.jpg[/img][/url]

Rafter S":1rgagxii said:
I agree. I've just nailed together 2x4's to make a frame large enough for the calves to get through, but too small for the cows. Open a gate far enough to tie this frame in the opening.

Mine is the same setup except instead of boards I've welded a pipe framework together.

I would just do boards and nails but I do want to move it every once in a while.

BCG that's pretty spot on what I was thinking, thanks for sharing the pic. Moving three panels and pulling a few T posts every once looks like the best option for me ...

Thanks for the responses all

torogmc81":3h5ihlu7 said:
I would just do boards and nails but I do want to move it every once in a while.

BCG that's pretty spot on what I was thinking, thanks for sharing the pic. Moving three panels and pulling a few T posts every once looks like the best option for me ...

Thanks for the responses all
Yes it wasn't raining so we just threw that one up in a couple of minutes out in the open where we toss the feed over the fence. My old bow gate turned sideways has a broken weld at the bottom of the frame. So twined it shut and it worked good! Because we were already feeding there, the calves went right in.

I have a round pen made out of cattle panel . I used two 4x4 post and some 2x4 s to make a creep gate. When the hogs start coming in I put wire over the creep gate and open the trap gate. Caught as many as 15. Hogs at a time last year. It is cheaper than buying a 1000 dollar creep feeder that the cows can push around and tare up .

Neighbor lady had a deal that was about 15 foot long and 8 foot deep that had the covered bulk feed bin and a feeder area under it. One long side was a creep panel like was shown. She had to have a place to keep an ectra bull so she turned him in with the creep fed weaned calves. I drove by one day and the bull was stuck half way through the creep panel and was pushing the whole rig around the pasture. The next day he was in another pasture but I never have seen that creep pen set up since.

I built my first creep panel. Wasn't long and the cows destroyed it. I bought a Powder River panel after that and so far it has held up okay. The calves get used to me putting out creep feed sort of like ringing a dinner bell. The cows that once ate creep as calves can get real rough with a calf pass panel trying to get grain. This year I sat up in the gate of my weaning pen. When I was ready to wean I closed the gate on 3/4th of the calves without them even suspicions get what I was doing. Mel

I have one made out of heavy square tubing. Have had cows test it to no avail.
Mine in on a side pen connecting to the main pen. We have a gate we can close over the creep panel when we use the side pen to separate.

torogmc81":2c4ljo47 said:
Anyone use anything like this gate for creep feeding or letting calves into barn, etc.

http://www.ruralking.com/tarter-8-c...XuB00FD09FVANzOi4NQ-rnUBKExN2HNXeGBoCIBvw_wcB

I was thinking of use a creep panel like this one, and two normal gates/panels and hand feeding four calves from Dec.-Feb. calving. I don't want to buy a cheap 700-900 set up, I'd rather creep feed this way until I can better justify buying a good solid creep feeder down the road. Any ideas or experiences? Will this work for a small operation like us that is slowly growing over time.

Thanks in advance

We have a Tater creep panel. It looks a bit heavier than this model. It works great.

I used that gate. I built a lean to 8x3 out of 3/4 plywood,tin roof,front open for eating.2,10 ft panels and the creep gate.I have 2 holes in the backside for my hayspear, just throw the panels and gate on the roof pick it up and go to next pasture

I made one out of 1/2 by 2 inch tubing, and I hung some chain and hooks on either end to tie to other free standing gates. The metal shop chopped the material to the lengths I wanted and I just brought them home and glued them together with the welder. I put feet under it so it stands by itself, I use it when I want to stick out protein tubs, higher quality hay and creep. I've got about $110 into it for material.

Latest posts