creep feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Would it work to blend cracked corn or corn screenings with DDG's, say 75% corn, 25% DDG's and feeding it through a creep feeder without running into trouble? Would I need to be concerned with them consuming too much DDG's ? I assume I wouldn't after its mixed but looking for others opinion

mncowboy":1sa2x9jj said:
Would it work to blend cracked corn or corn screenings with DDG's, say 75% corn, 25% DDG's and feeding it through a creep feeder without running into trouble? Would I need to be concerned with them consuming too much DDG's ? I assume I wouldn't after its mixed but looking for others opinion
I think you need a limiter or something to cut it with. That might be a little hot free choice. I'm not sure but I wouldnt feed it without finding more out.

jedstivers":2slrg8tl said:
Your cows will stay in better shape too. I'm still thinking of someday creep feeding free choice oats or oats and something.
Oats and SBM mix is great but they separate really bad.

I have been thinking about creep feeding my heifer calves only because they all go to an all female sale in the fall, but I graze my cow/calf pairs on rye 3-4 hours per day anyway and as the Rye finishes up (gets stemy) I transition them to arrowleaf clover grazing --shouldn't the arrowleaf do as good as creep?

mncowboy":3m0cgcdq said:

That's close to what I creep feed with. I use ear corn and DDGS and mix it about 14% protein. I don't put any salt or anything in. My calves do good on it.

Start them on some creep about two-three weeks before weaning. Fence line wean with the creep feeder on the calf side. The calves transition very easily and don' t lose any weight. Whomever buys them will thank you.

RegCowman":13aj8pks said:
I have been thinking about creep feeding my heifer calves only because they all go to an all female sale in the fall, but I graze my cow/calf pairs on rye 3-4 hours per day anyway and as the Rye finishes up (gets stemy) I transition them to arrowleaf clover grazing --shouldn't the arrowleaf do as good as creep?
Should do as well as the rye too. Might need a bit more fiber than they're going to get from straight clover though. Turn'em back on that stemmy rye.

What are your calves looking like M-5? "Framey" or fleshy, when you get done with them?

I'm trying to balance, "starving the profit out of them" and "feeding them to death" :lol:

TT, The heifer calves to big to enter the creep feeder now and I would say they are more "framey" I sold 4 of the steer calves Late feb and looking at those cows calves last year v/s this years calves its a little over 50# difference in todays market that's over a 100.00 . these 4 steers were more fleshy Imo. I fed a group of 7 just under a ton of feed. at a cost of approx. 200.00 feed, labor, fuel etc . the 4 steers paid for it and I made a little profit. I am going to start this years calves earlier. I just got my cattle max account set up and all of the hand written records in. I will be able to give a better evaluation next year.

Dash, not sure how y'alls market works up there. I know it is different for us than a lot on this board. There is absolutely no market for anything over 600 lbs, and buyers will pay dang near as much for a framey 400 lb calf as they will for a fleshy 500 lb calf. Close enough I have zero intentions of buying feed. Just my observations your mileage will probably vary.

I have been thinking on creep feeding as well M5. The math works out as far as costs of feed to put on a lb. BUT, when I pull the market report from last week I run into a problem.
#1 steers at El Reno
#537-$1444
#595-$1445
#757-$1552
I don't know if this is seasonal or if it is worth the effort???

gus2121":roof5itz said:
I have been thinking on creep feeding as well M5. The math works out as far as costs of feed to put on a lb. BUT, when I pull the market report from last week I run into a problem.
#1 steers at El Reno
#537-$1444
#595-$1445
#757-$1552

500 is the magic number here. If I can get them to 500# a little quicker it pencils out with the cost of my feed. It may not be how others do it but In my mind it make sense to me.

M-5":krcrf0zo said:
gus2121":krcrf0zo said:
#1 steers at El Reno
#537-$1444
#595-$1445
#757-$1552

500 is the magic number here. If I can get them to 500# a little quicker it pencils out with the cost of my feed. It may not be how others do it but In my mind it make sense to me.

Same here I want them right at 500

I pulled the OKC report bc El reno did not have any to compare that size.
#1 steers
#381-$1268
#430-$1307
#480-$1363
I am not being argumentative, I am trying to figure out if it pays to creep. Not saying what is right or wrong just trying to make the most money on my calves as well.

gus2121":14zjo7bv said:
I pulled the OKC report bc El reno did not have any to compare that size.
#1 steers
#381-$1268
#430-$1307
#480-$1363
I am not being argumentative, I am trying to figure out if it pays to creep. Not saying what is right or wrong just trying to make the most money on my calves as well.
At today's feed prices and cattle prices it definitely pays to creep feed. Just spend a little extra and get a good feed for good results. You'll also get them to "sale weight" much quicker.

I honestly think here, in my area, you are just trading dollars when you creep. Looking at gus's numbers it's roughly a buck for every pound between the weight classes. Factor in feed cost, fuel to go get it and time to feed it, I just don't see the benefit, but I am dense.

LRTX1":bwtxxuav said:
I honestly think here, in my area, you are just trading dollars when you creep. Looking at gus's numbers it's roughly a buck for every pound between the weight classes. Factor in feed cost, fuel to go get it and time to feed it, I just don't see the benefit, but I am dense.

the Feed I'm using cost me 150.00 a ton if I can get an extra 50# on a calf before I wean him at 6mth that's money in the bank. one other thing I notice this winter with these calves is their dams held condition better with the calves not pulling them down as much. the ton of feed I fed worked out to be 21.00 per calf and for argument's sake the 285# each of them ate and the ratio is for every 5# of feed they gain 1# that's 57# of gain @ 2.00# =$114.00 per calf

7 @ 114.00 =798.00 - 150.00 = 648 profit

cost of getting feed 12.00 fuel, fill the feeder 3 times 10 minutes each =12.50
net profit 623.50

this also does not factor in hay savings and pasture savings by not having those calves on the place longer.

I think where I'm missing it is the 2.00 a lb. Look at gus's report. There is only 50 bucks different between 50 lbs of calf. While you might sell a 500lber for 2.00 a lb you could have sold a 450 lber for 2.12.

If I you are doing it for hay & pasture savings, condition of the momma that's one thing. Your feed is cheaper than I can source here so that makes a difference. I still think your math is a little fuzzy. But hey, I said I was dense.

I understand those calculations and can figure the same way. But the difference between what calves bring for that 50 lbs is also what I was thinking about. That is only $56 for the extra 50lbs. That only has you making $245 before everything else. Some weights are not that much different in price. What is the correct way to look at it??

I understand why you do it now that I know you are a fall calver and it makes sence. I am a spring calver.

Latest posts