creep feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

bklogs

Reaction score
Have ran out of grass becuase of drought and all my cattle are 1st calf heifers now eating hay, most calves are in the 250lb range and 2-3 mos old. Figured I could really benifit from creep feeding, I just had the feed store mix a batch for me that is 32.5% DDG (25% protein) and 62.5% extender pellet(since it was cheaper than soyhull pellet (12% protien) and 5% molasses. Should be getting it to around a 16% protien mix.Was wondering if this is a good ration for the calves free choice in the creep feeder? I have never creep fed before. My thoughts were to get em started with this and after awhile when they get bigger to switch the molasses for salt and get the salt to around 10% to limit them on it. Probably will also hand feed the heifers about 3.5lbs a day of this ration to supplement them. Just wondering if these are sound ideas since havent done this before and any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Calves are usually light at weaning time on a drought year. It may pay to creep feed them this year. I have creep fed on a normal year a time or two. I never really thought my return was worth the expense.

What I always thought worked good, and what my grandpa did, was have a creep pen. You can hand feed grain, and put hay out just for the calves. Sure helps in winter to.

sim.-ang.king":dvhc48lm said:
What I always thought worked good, and what my grandpa did, was have a creep pen. You can hand feed grain, and put hay out just for the calves. Sure helps in winter to.

That is a good idea. The calves get used to being around people so it makes it easier to work and move them when needed. You have better control over the amount eaten. One calf won't be able to hog the feeder and pig out.

Latest posts