Creep feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are just starting up here at Five-D Farms. Right now we have 16 calves in the 50 head we have. We have two covered feed troughs. With 16 calves, should I turn one of the troughs into a creep feeder for the claves? Thanks, Seth

Creep feeding calves is supplementing. I do not believe in supplementing unless absolutely necessary. If the cows are staying in good condition then there is no reason to supplement the calves.The cows should be able to raise them until weaning.
I realize there are special conditions at times that will make this necessary but creep feeding should not be the norm. in your area even through the winter.

It's the cost of gain. If your short of pasture creep feeding is a good plan. When feed is high and cattle prices low, won't pay. In most cases I believe there is some $ gain by creep feeding calves.
Have a custom blend made for you. The commercial nice looking pellets are nothing but bin waste from the big storage facilities.

mnmtranching":7kra50dq said:
It's the cost of gain. If your short of pasture creep feeding is a good plan. When feed is high and cattle prices low, won't pay. In most cases I believe there is some $ gain by creep feeding calves. Have a custom blend made for you. The commercial nice looking pellets are nothing but bin waste from the big storage facilities.

Not much of a gain if you sell fleshy calves at the sale barn.

Limomike":19fq38df said:
mnmtranching":19fq38df said:
It's the cost of gain. If your short of pasture creep feeding is a good plan. When feed is high and cattle prices low, won't pay. In most cases I believe there is some $ gain by creep feeding calves. Have a custom blend made for you. The commercial nice looking pellets are nothing but bin waste from the big storage facilities.

Not much of a gain if you sell fleshy calves at the sale barn.

That's why I started out with [if your short of pasture] :)

depends on what your target market is. If there going to sale barn or feedlot I would say no. If there registered and you plan on them going to be a repalcment female or Bull on test, I think you need to. If you are selling registered animals all your competition is craming every pound of gain on them they can from birth to selling time. May not be what you or most want to hear but thats how most registered breeders are.